Chapter twenty two: That Sinking Feeling

Start from the beginning

Nick and Adrian entered with a powerful drift down the center road and the Nexus agent had no problem mimicking the action as the slower tank had to find another route to try and cut them off again.

As they zoomed by the China shops, the flaming lanterns swished with the furious winds. Nick made several turns throughout trying to lose the son of a bitch who kept right on their tail. The scenery was great and all, but if taking a gander meant the end of his life, he was fine keeping his eyes on the tiled road. Some streets were wider while others were slim back roads.

Lights flashed across shrines and fancy restaurants as they turned the shoot out into a full blown race. Adrian had fired one last shot, obliterating a glass shop while Nick tried to anticipate each and every turn. He was reaching a spit in the road that resembled a 'Y' from above and as a semi truck carrying appeared on the right side, Nick turned into the left street and zoomed into the back-road.

That one only lead to more and they were a lot harder to predict and like before, as he reached an opening, he drifted a completely three-sixty and the car following also completed the action right next to him, but right before he did so, both drivers could see the other from driving so close to each other.

Nick took the moment to get a good look at the guy who was bald and had the angry expression of a professional hitman. The other guy took the moment to put a bullet in Nick's forehead. At the last second, Adrian reached up yanked Nick's head forward as the laser busted Nick's window. He punched the gas as they boosted back down the same road and let out right as the huge semi truck was.

Nick tapped into the nitrous and one could hear the fuel steaming out as the car just barely drove around the semi truck while using the one-eighty trick to avoid the truck hitting the back of the car by swinging over to the front. As the car did the one-eighty, the nose of the truck was so very close to hammering them but the slick movements of the maneuver had just saved their lives.

Fortunately, the same couldn't be said for the pursuer behind them. He smashed straight into the pipes the truck was carrying and they poured out atop it's roof, completely demolishing the small race car.

Nick and Adrian took off as the semi truck spun out of control and the crushed car detonated from the inside out, sending a waves of smoke into the air as Nick raced down the straightaway as fast as the car would let him.

Reaching nearly three hundred miles an hour, he was far to fast for the helicopters to keep up with.

"And he's gone, Melinda," one of the pilots stated, looking over to his partner. "He is gone."

****

In this epic chair of doom, I fired the four-barrel cannon as my seat swiveled around and around so I could see exactly what my targeting systems were blasting off the map. The cars that didn't really move as they steadied to shoot were the easiest to get rid off, but the helicopters continuously swayed from side to side when taking fire. I'm just glad I didn't have to take on any jets.

The tanks ate the enemy fire as they've gotten majorly advanced over the tree years because of the money they now posses. I tried to aim for the wheels, but they were clearly armored also, they just rolled on through the flames. They were fast enough to keep up with us too.

I tried to take care of all the squat cars but they were clearly catching on that they were being rapidly shot at, making violent turns to the side and letting the tanks and helicopters do their job. I found that I was now the target and the hull of the bubble had to deflect more than one blast from Nexus.

Nothing but explosions took place on the moving battlefield and I was getting so caught up in the action, I completely didn't see the chasing storm completely over take Nexus until it blocked my vision from them in huge balls of fury.