Chapter seventeen: The Million Dollar Question

Start from the beginning

"Sadly, I understand," Adrian admitted as he gave a last gulp of the scotch. "But that doesn't mean I forgive you for nearly killing me."

"Fair enough." Nick began to smile as Adrian poured himself another glass. Nick stretched out on the bed, knowing he couldn't have it all to himself for long. All the double-bedded rooms were taken and they didn't have to time to argue with the attendance lady because they wanted to get off the street as fast as possible. After all, they were two 'fugitives' on the run from a major company and the police for blowing up the garage.

Adrian slammed his glass down onto the table. "Makes you wonder why we would choose such a damning career."

"It also makes you remember that we didn't do it willingly, not exactly."

****

It was safe to say that Chase's jaw completely hit the ground when he saw the sun beam on the massive, triple-layered water fountain. The base was at least twenty feet in diameter since each layer was circular, leaving the second layer around half or so around and the very top had to be five or six feet across. The entire room that we're in was one huge circle and I tried to figure an estimate diameter but my best guess was that it was more than fifty feet around. It was far larger than any Cathedral I've ever seen.

From the white marble floor to the six low-hanging chandeliers surrounding the gargantuan white stone water fountain, I was amazed by the level of pure detail of the designs all over the walls. There were paintings and carvings of gods flying in the clouds and fiery dragons racing around kingdoms all set in gold plates on the ceiling seventy or so feet above us.

They all surrounded one huge golden plate in the center of the ceiling that had an image of an unclothed woman reaching for an unclothed man who was reaching back. Sleek clouds just barely cover their 'parts', but the interesting thing was that she was--depending on what angle you look at it from--upside down, reaching for the man who was right side up. Quite interesting how their hands looked like the fingers were right about to touch but never got the chance.

Walking on the clear marble floor that captivated billions of solidified rose petals, Chase walked around the right side of the fountain while I found myself drawn to the left. There were many large holes in the ceiling and it ruined most of the architecture of the ceiling and walls as the sun poured itself inside, basking the entire room in golden sunlight. I ran a finger across the cracks and large chips in the fountain and wondered how it was even still standing after all this time.

As I spun wildly, trying to take in as much as possible, I fantasized about a time where this place was in it's prime. I pictured an old film rolling, drawing me into this beautiful ball room dance and as the picture cleared, I could see every detail in perfect color. Men in their classy red military suits spinning around their ravishing female partners in pure graceful elegance with the fountain drizzling in crystal clear water in the background. I then pictured that I was watching from directly above the fountain and could see all the dancers surrounding it, moving with their significant other in perfect sync.

Step, step, around the fountain, one step back, one step forward in a graceful pattern all around the fountain sprouting the glistening hazel blue water into an umbrella. Two steps back, twirl, a little hop and a dramatic bow...

"Skylar..." Chase called to me when we met back around the other side of the fountain, seeing that my mind was elsewhere.

I shook my head, watching as all the dancers and pretty lights faded with my imagination. "Oh, hey."

"That's the thing about being a treasure hunter; sometimes you get lost in the scenery," he smiled. "Come on. We have work to do."

"Right." Getting my game face on, I jogged into the hallway on the side we were now on and realized that it was a bridge that lead to the next section. What I came to realize is that there was four sections, an extra one in the middle I couldn't have seen before. The bridge was made of a shiny bronze metal and seemed to have once been encased in a glass that people could walk through and not have to worry about rain or extreme temperatures. But now that glass has been long since destroyed and a surprising amount of plant life has wrapped around the bridge. However, it wasn't across the surface, but several feet above, making the most unique walkway I've ever seen.