Fatherly Figures & Photoshoot Adventures

Mulai dari awal

"But what?"

"He was on the plane with me." She nearly whispers, as if he might hear her.

I take a minute to process this. My dad is here. In the same city as me. After all, this is his home. But it still rattles my nerves.

She continues. "I tried to avoid him. But he still recognized me, after the haircut and contacts and everything. He was asking about you," Another pause. "He wants to meet up with you."

I lean against the railing, cool night air sending chills up my arms. This is exactly what I was afraid of. The last thing I need is for my father to ruin my week here. I am already afraid of what might happen when talking to my friends, but this just sounds so much worse.

"You there?" Her voice picks up.

I let out a small groan. "Yeah. Yeah, I am. Just, I don't know what to do."

"Maybe you should talk to him." She says quietly.

"Are you kidding me? Why would I do that?" I blurt out.

"It's obvious he wants to get in touch with you. He's making a huge effort–"

"I don't care. I don't even want to waste my breath on him." I snap. Taking a deep breath, I compose myself. "Why would he want to see me again?"

"It's been almost two years since the divorce, Isaac. Maybe he's changed."

"People don't change."

"They most certainly can," She argues. "Look, maybe you should just give him a chance? And if it doesn't work out, then you wont ever have to see him again. At least give him closure. He thinks you only left because your mom made you. At least let him know if you are willing to hear him out, or if you never want to say his name again."

"I guess you're right," I bite the inside of my cheek. "Anyway, what's the plan for Thursday?"

"We're all meeting at Matt's house, I think. Are you going to bring her?"

I nod my head, then remembering she can't see me, I say, "Yes. I think I should. She's been in the dark for so long, after all."

"It'll be weird seeing her," Braeden admits. "She doesn't know about you and me. Us. That we know each other. I wonder how she'll respond."

"Don't worry, she'll understand," I convince myself. "It might take some explaining."

"But what if Cass is there? Or Rob? What do you do then?" Braeden questions.

I roll my eyes. "Matt won't let that happen." I'm about to say something else, but then I hear the rustling of sheets from inside the room, and a lamp turn on. "I have to go, thanks though."

"No problem." Braeden hangs up the phone.

I see a sleepy Grace emerge onto the balcony, rubbing her eyes. She lets out a small yawn before speaking. "Isaac?"

I stuff my phone into my pocket. "Sorry baby," She steps closer. "I didn't mean to wake you."

"Is everything all right? You seem on edge." She comments. I sigh, rubbing the back of my neck,
not answering. "Isaac." She says my name more forceful this time. "What's wrong?"

"I'm meeting my dad for dinner tomorrow." I blurt out, then wishing I hadn't said anything at all. Her eyes widen, as if this was the last thing she was expecting me to say.

"Is that...is that what all the phone calls have been about?" She asks me.

I should've known that Grace would be able to tell something was up. "Yes." Is all I respond with.