"I don't want new friends or a new anything. I just want to stay here. Can't I stay with Natalie or something, at least until break? I don't want to miss the—"

"Honey, that's just not possible." She lifted the half-emptied wine glass to her lips.

"Why not?"

"Because we've made up our minds. We want you with us. Our family's been apart long enough. Too long," she said, finishing off the glass.

"But y-you promised," I sputtered, wishing my voice didn't shake.

She didn't notice. She was focused on filling her empty glass, swirling it until it left a residue below the rim. "And we're sorry, but this decision's final."

"You're sorry? That's supposed to make me feel better? How can I believe a word you say anymore? You keep changing things so they're more convenient for you!" I couldn't help myself. Upsetting her made me feel better.

She spread her hands out in defeat. "You're right, and we knew you'd be upset."

"You knew, and yet you did it anyway?"

"Alex, you're not the only one in this family. The decision was ours. And it's final."

"But—" I floundered. She was right. I wasn't the only one in this family—just the only one without a choice.

"That's it," she said with an edge that told me we were done. She pulled her plate back in front of her, pretending the cold chicken was her favorite. "Now tell me, what happened at school today?"

I pressed my tongue against the back of my teeth, waiting until my chin stopped quivering. "You want to know how school was? Let me tell you." Anger punctuated each word as I shook my head. "Mr. Phillips loved my sketch. I got a C on my chemistry test. Oh yeah, and Brian asked me to Homecoming." The last words spilled out before my voice could falter.

My mom stopped mid-bite and smiled. "Oh honey, that sounds wonderful. Hmm, Brian... That name sounds familiar. Is he the one from your homeroom class?"

My mouth dropped open. Was she serious? "Yeah, it'd be great if we had three months left here, like you promised. But now I'll have to cancel. How could you do this to me?" I shouted, almost falling out of my chair as I pushed away from the table. I stomped past her, avoiding her eyes. It hurt to look at her.

"We're just trying to do what's right for the family," she yelled at my back.

"Whatever," I yelled down the stairs. They didn't care about the family, just about them. I slammed the door and nearly tripped over a pile of boxes stacked behind the door. Did she really expect me to pack when my whole world was falling apart?

I threw myself on the bed and screamed into one of my pillows. How could they do this to me? Make me leave my friends, my school, everything familiar? I didn't care if it made sense to them. It wasn't fair to me. Where was the reassurance that the cracks widening in my heart would heal?

Tears stained the pillow, and I tossed it to the far corner. I was tired of feeling. Of being torn between extremes. Since they'd told me we were moving, the past month had been a roller coaster of emotions. Swells of fury punctuated by brief moments of relief...then I plunged into the depths of inconsolable grief. I wanted off the ride.

Tonight would be hard enough without giving in to every emotion.

Tonight... The clocked ticked down in my mind. I groaned, flipping onto my back. How could she expect me to pack my whole room, my whole life, in one night? It was impossible.

I looked around the room, the perfect time capsule of my life. Shelves, bulletin boards, and my desk overflowed with stuff. I didn't believe in empty space. Empty space meant something was missing. Beside my desk, behind a row of rock climbing trophies, a mosaic of bright colors hid the white walls. My abstract art projects curled around a still life, and the ribbons from my competitions fit together like a puzzle.