Love, Fear, and a Kiss

The work room was always empty at night. The enabled were either too young to focus all day, or old enough to be starting the reproductive process, which usually occurred at night for obvious reasons.

All four walls were green, smooth, and almost completely covered with grainy white lines; chalkboards filled with mathematical equations. The floor was tiled with white squares that had gray dots in them. The center of the room was filled with 4 desks, each designated to a certain mathematically enabled adolecent. The desktops were made of black stone, but I am unsure as to what kind. The legs were made of the same metal that had been used in the desks in Dr. Edward's office. Underneath the top was a shelf, where I kept my notebooks. I was not quite sure what I was looking for. Maybe I was just coming to remind myself of what I was trying to get to; why I needed to get through my reproductive obligation. I stared at my side of the chalkboards. I had the board on the right wall one could see when they walked into the work room.

I suddenly saw a light flicker on. There was a boy standing at the door. I turned my head toward him, but kept my body facing the board, trying to use my facial expression to ask him why he was there.

Apparently I was supposed to recognize him. He joked that perhaps it was his fault I did not recognize him because that meant he was not memorable enough. His smile was unforgettable. It was a smirk, mixed with a grin. I could tell by the way his mouth moved he did not laugh. He had a grin, that shook his body when he was trying to laugh, but no sound came out. His teeth were whiter than most, and his lips were thin and small, boyish.

He told me his name was Luke.

When I finally recognized him, I turned my body toward him. I saw the dirty blonde hair, but it was longer than it was in the cover photo. His freckles should have given it away, though. Now that I saw his eyes in person, they were something I knew I'd remember, perhaps because of their unique color combination. They were the perfect sky blue, with grey streaks throughout them. His eyelashes were long, too, perfectly framing them. Those eyes were hidden by glasses. They were black and boxy. I think the common name for them used to be hipster glasses. His frame was tall and scrawny, about a head or so taller than me. He had on a red, blue, and black flannel shirt, with khaki pants, and sneakers. His obviously wet hair hung in front of his face, just above his eyes.

I tried to smile and apologize. He laughed his silent laugh, and told me that I'd better get used to him because I was the girl he had chosen to be his mate. His cheeks turned a slight shade of pink as he finished his sentence. I did not have the heart to tell him I had placed another bid.

I laughed nervously, unsure of what to say next. I crossed my right arm, and held onto my left arm, which was hanging next to me, fully extended. I shifted my weight to my left leg, and chewed on the inside of my lip. The blood I drew was warm and metallic. I felt a little drip from my lip onto the floor.

Luke quickly offered me a tissue. He grabbed one from his pocket and handed it to me, assuring me as he did this that he chewed his lip too. He let his hand brush against mine, but I quickly pulled away from him, something he clearly noticed. I mumbled an apology, but his face still looked like I had kicked him. I wondered how someone with such a high IQ could have so much EQ, and for some reason, this display of emotion disgusted me.

His mouth moved, and by the way it dragged I could tell he was trying to hide some fear. He wondered why I pulled away if I had placed a bid. I reminded him our task was to produce children, not find a soul mate. But you asked for a trial period was his reasoning for thinking I was interested.

I paused. He had no right to know my personal fears. He was not my boyfriend, and he was not even my mate. I had another bid out. One with no strings. No trial periods.

I reminded him we weren't dating. We were not connected in any way.

Except when we come together in the most intimate way possible.

For science.

For love.

Love? Love is irrelevant here. Sex is merely a way to create more of us here. It has no emotional relevancy. You, them, anyone who thinks that here is a fool.

Sex is always emotional. It is why normal people marry before they bear children.

I felt my mouth move. I have no intention of ever marrying. Ever. I could feel the disgust for the subject rolling off my tongue, and I immediately regretted it. He had no idea why I did not like the idea of marriage.

I plan on marrying my mate. This is why I wanted the trial period. I thought you would want that too. His words rolled off his tongue effortlessly. He told me I was his only option. He had no other bids. He had to love me. For him, for his religion, love was the only option.

But it isn't mine. He had no right to tell me who I could and could not love. He had no right to tell me I had to marry him. He could not control my actions. After three years to each of my four children, I don't owe anything to anyone.

Why are you so guarded? Why are you so against marriage? Why are you so against emotion?

I swallowed and studied the floor. I felt ashamed of a fear I usually wore outright. Anyone who knew me knew not to touch me.  But confessing this to someone who I may share a bed with, someone who may be the father of my children, seemed foolish and childish. I felt too pure, too innocent for my own good. I felt it grow into one of my largest demons. Something that has never been a challenge, speaking up about my discomfort, suddenly became my greatest nightmare.

Luke was suddenly very close to me. His hands were suddenly on my jawline. His small, pink lips that I had been so focused on the movement of were now moving on my own. I was frozen, my body shocked by the contact, so unfamiliar. All of my brain wanted to push him away and scream and curse at him for such a self-centered bastard, which in this facility was not unlikely. But there was a tiny little voice that told me I was enjoying it, that it was nice. It was nice to have someone so intent on making me feel something, he was willing to go at extreme lengths to achieve it. His lips were soft, and the kiss was sweet. It wasn't wet, but it was still forceful enough for me to feel his urgency, his desire to really love me. I felt his fear. I felt his emotion, something of which I was usually clueless. His lips parted from mine, but he held my face close to his. He let his eyes wander to my brown ones. He was leaned over pretty far because of the height difference, but my hands were still stupidly at my sides. Finally, he released me.

Don't tell me you didn't feel something.

Thank you so much for reading! It means so much to me! Comment what you think of Luke! Is he too forward with Mulan, or does she need to be pushed out of her comfort zone? Feel free to leave constructive criticism as well! I need all the help I can get. If you want to see more, make sure to vote and add this story to your library. Thank you so much!