Chapter 1

This is a work of FICTION. It is NOT REAL.

Dan wore flower crowns. Dan wore pastel colors. Dan was short. So there was no way Phil Lester would ever notice him unless it was to make fun of him or beat him up.

Phil was tall. Phil had piercings and tattoos. Phil wore leather jackets, and black clothing. And Dan had a slight crush on him.

They never got close to each other, and they only shared one class. Phil wasn't even in class most of the time anyway, so it didn't matter. And he had never even spoken to Dan. Phil probably didn't even know Dan existed. But still, his crush remained.

Chris and PJ had convinced him to go to the party on Saturday. Dan hated parties, mainly because he thought people would be more likely to beat him up. A party was no place for flower crowns. The alcohol probably made things worse. But Chris and PJ had been adamant, and finally Dan had given in. He wasn't looking forward to it.
-
As Chris, PJ, and Dan walked through the door, all that could be heard was blaring music and laughing. They made their way through the mass of bodies, heading toward the kitchen. Upon reaching it, PJ handed a bottle to Chris and took one for himself.

"Dan?" PJ questioned, offering him a beer. Dan shook his head and PJ shrugged. Together, they headed back into the crowded room. They all sat down on a couch, Dan already feeling uncomfortable. He closed his eyes for a few seconds and opened them just in time to see PJ and Chris heading on to the dance floor. Dan stared at his lap for a few minutes before deciding he needed to get someplace quieter.

He wandered into a few side rooms before discovering some stairs. He made his way up, stopping there for a moment. From another hall he could hear jeering voices becoming louder and louder. Frightened, he quickly ran into the first room, locking the door. He pressed his ear against the door, waiting until the voices faded away. He sighed in relief.

"Hey." Dan jumped and scrambled to unlock the door.

"I'm going!" he blurted out before a strong pair of arms pulled him away from the door. Dan shut his eyes, bracing himself for the first blow. When it didn't come, he slowly looked up. No way. Phil Lester was staring down at him. "I won't t-tell anyone you're in he-here I promise, p-p-please. Ju-just don't hurt m-me," Dan stuttered out, tears already forming in his eyes. A flash of surprise covered Phil's features and then he was carrying Dan over to the bed. Dan started to cry, unable to plead for mercy.

"I like your flower crown." Dan was so shocked by the statement that he abruptly stopped crying. Phil had slumped against the headboard. Dan, being in the middle of the bed, eyed him warily. Is this a trick? "You look good in blue." Dan blushed because Phil Lester had just complimented him a second time. Phil reached a long arm out and Dan flinched involuntarily. Phil hesitated a moment before reaching up and straightening Dan's flower crown.

"Who beats you up?" was Phil's next quiet remark. Dan was still sniffling. What do I say? I can't tell him! It's his own friends that do it! "Oi!" Dan's head snapped up. "Answer the question," Phil said, snapping his fingers.

"Your friends," Dan whispered, squeezing his eyes shut again.

"Assholes," and Dan looked up because Phil was growling and gritting his teeth. "I told them not to pick on people because of their looks." Dan was amazed. "I'm not going to hurt you." Dan's eyes were wide. "What's your name?"

"Dan."

"Nice to meet you, Dan. I'm Phil."