Clutching my shoes, I move quickly to the bathroom.  Maybe I can hide in the spare room until everyone falls asleep. 

Why did I think this was a good idea?

I didn't even find my stupid phone! 

Not like I could have taken it anyway.  Ben would have noticed, idiot.

As soon as I close the bathroom door, I turn around to find the lights are on and someone is sitting on the bed.

Oh crap!

Cole looks up at me, giving an awkward wave.  "Uhh... Hi?"

I rush closer, whispering.  "Please, don't tell Ben I'm here."

He lowers his voice to match mine.  "Why are you here?"

"It's kind of a long story."  I sit in the chair across from him, taking comfort in the fact that he hasn't told on me yet.

"Does it have to do with your phone?"  He smirks.

I feel the heat rise to my cheeks.  God, I'm so stupid.  I should have known he would know.

He chuckles silently.  "Don't worry, you're secret is safe with me."

I breathe a sigh of relief.  I just hope I can trust him.

Bang.
Bang.
Bang.

Ben's voice comes through the door.  "Cole, who are you talking to?"

Our eyes both go wide, as we stare at each other, confused on what to do.

"Uh... just... talking... to Mom.  She called to check in.  Do you want to talk to her?"  He shrugs, giving me an apologetic look.

Ben just laughs as his footsteps move farther away.  Guess he doesn't have anything to say to her.

"Phew!"  He pretends to wipe his brow, while continuing to whisper. "That was intense."

I just nod, afraid to speak.  Ben could hear us whispering?  Or does he somehow know I'm here?

"So, Mom, why are you hiding?"  He tries to joke, but it weirds me out.  I wrinkle my nose, I am definitely not Ben's mom.

"Sorry, guess that is a little strange after everything with my brother."  Oh my god. What does he know?  I feel like my eyes are about to pop out of my head.

"Not that he said anything!"  He puts his hands up in surrender.  Yeah, right, like I believe that.

"What did he tell you?"  I feel a little bad trying to get information from him, but my curiosity has taken over.  If I don't find out, it will consume me.

"Oh, you know, just the typical breakup stuff.  He misses you and wishes you were still together."  He rolls his eyes like he's annoyed, but I'm in shock.

"Did he really say that?"  Why would he still be telling his brother about me? 

It wasn't real.
It's been three months.
He shouldn't be talking to anyone anymore if it was fake.