Chapter 2

Kat
December 31, 2005

*

Same day

*

Today has been one of the worst days of my life. I just want to crawl into a hole and die, but my stupid best friend drug me out, insisting it would be 'good for me'.

Yeah, because everyone who finds out their boyfriend is cheating on them wants to go out to the club to check out guys and party. Not to mention, New Year's Eve sucks. Everyone pretends to like it, but nobody really does. It's depressing.

There goes another year down the drain and here comes another year to fill with mistakes and regret.

Maybe I can sneak out without her noticing while she's making out with Nate. Would that make me a bad friend?

As soon as we tumble into the bathroom, she leans against the bathroom sink trying to look casual, but I know she's just holding herself up.

"You think he's cute, don't you?" She eyes me suspiciously, like I'm hiding something.

"Who? Nate?" I ask, confused. "He's not too bad, Ness."

"Okay Nate is freaking hot. And I was talking about Benny-boy." She smirks at me like she knows something, but she's wrong.

"You mean the pretentious jerk?" I throw back at her. He seemed like a womanizing tool with a drool worthy body. I totally don't need that in my life right now.

"Ben is a hottie. Did you see those muscles? I just want to lick them." She gushes, making me feel uncomfortable. Who talks like that?

"Ness, I thought you were here with Nate." For some reason, my question comes out as a statement. I'm already over this conversation and I have a feeling it's not even close to being over.

"Oh please, I saw you staring at him, Katie-bug." Crap. She's onto me.

"He's okay, I guess." I'm lying, but hopefully she won't notice just this once.

If I'm being honest, he's one of the most attractive guys I've ever seen, but if I tell her she will probably try to set us up and that is totally not happening.

One glance in the mirror I've been trying to avoid just reaffirms my belief that he's way out of my league. I'm plain and boring, I don't bother with makeup and my hair that won't obey me. I'm not the girl that gets the guy everyone else wants.

"You know, rebound sex isn't bad." She cocks her eyebrow at me. "I bet he looks pretty good without those dorky clothes and lame nametag."

Yeah, right like a guy that hot would ever want me. I'm the girl nobody even glances at. I don't want to think about this anymore. I'm already dealing with enough. I don't need any more rejection.

"Come on, Ness. Please, not tonight. I really don't want to do this." I plead with her, hoping she chooses to be a good friend.

I look at her through the mirror, wishing I could be like her. Her hair is naturally curly and bright red. There's nothing boring about her. She is always beautiful without even trying.

"I thought we were out to have some fun." She pouts.

God, she makes me sick. She's even pretty when she makes that stupid face. For some reason, this only annoys me more.

"You are out to have some fun. I didn't have any choice." I groan, like a petulant child being told to do his chores.

Ness gets really needy when she's had this much to drink and honestly, I don't have the energy to deal with her right now.

"Come on, Katie-bug. Just loosen up a little. And hey, maybe he will ask for your number." She winks at me.

"Who, Nate?" I tease her back, trying to get her off this uncomfortable subject.

"Hey now, that's not funny." She frowns. "I really like this guy."

I wonder if it's a bad sign that she was just checking out his best friend, but I decide not to mention it.

"Really? I couldn't tell." I imagine you would have to like someone at least a little bit to have your faces attached together for an extended period of time.

"Yeah, yeah. I know." She rolls her eyes. "Seriously, Kat. That Ben dude is hot. I know you see it."

"Hard not to, Ness. The man is walking sex." I can't believe I just admitted that out loud. Crap.

"Hah! I knew it! You totally want to bang him!" Her face lights up, like she just discovered something amazing.

"What?" I can't even think of a better response.

Crap.
Crap.
Crap.

She will never let this go now that she thinks there's something more.

"Uh huh... play innocent. Maybe I will just tell him what you said, so you will loosen up." She giggles.

"Vanessa Rosalind! You will not say a word!" I try my best to look intimidating, but Ness always makes fun of me when I try.

"Are you trying to scare me? Because you just look constipated." She laughs at me. "You know, if you need to go to the bathroom, now would be the time."

"Shut up." I also slap her arm.

"Ow! Ow! Owie! I think you broke my arm!" She rubs the spot I barely tapped.

I roll my eyes at her dramatic overreaction. "Oh please, like that really hurt."

"Here let me hit you and you can tell me." She swats at my arm, but completely misses and nearly falls on her face.

I catch her, pulling her upright. I wonder if she would do the same for me. She would probably let me fall and then laugh at my broken nose.

"Come on Ness." I loop my arm through her's, as she shifts her weight onto me. "And don't you dare say a word to Ben."

"Okay then, be nice to Ben and stop glaring at everyone." She pleads with me. "He probably thinks you're insane."

"Okay, fine." I agree, begrudgingly.

"And hey, maybe you can kiss him at midnight." She winks at me before leaning her head on my shoulder.

I sigh, knowing it's pointless to argue with her when she's in this state. "Come on, let's get you back to your snuggly-bear."

Her eyes are closed, but she smiles. "Oh, we do a lot more than snuggle. Believe you me."

I roll my eyes, maneuvering us through the door that insists on closing. It's tricky, but I manage to only hit her head once.

Oops.

She's going to feel that in the morning. Let's just hope she doesn't remember that I did it.

I walk back to the booth, with Ness clutching onto me, her legs seem to be barely working. I do my best to support most of her weight, like the freaking good friend that I am. She knew I would be miserable and she still insisted I come out, insisting her grand plan would cheer me up. If my night goes according to my plan, I won't be here much longer.

Sometimes I think I should find a better best friend who actually cares what I want.

But where would the fun be in that?