Chapter 7

Ben
January 1, 2005

*

Same day

*

Oh shit.

I barely manage to catch Kat before she collapses on the table. I pull her into me, enjoying the way her body molds to mine.

If only she wasn't unconscious.

She mumbles something about "not falling anymore" before going completely limp.

"Heyyyyy...?" I try to get the red head's attention. God, I suck at remembering stupid shit, like names and birthdays. "Hey... Uh... Help?"

No response from Nate's attachment. Time to switch tactics. "Nate... A little help here?" I plead.

"What the fuck did you do?" Nate is snapped out of his sex trance when he sees the unconscious body I'm holding.

"Nothing. She was talking about her idiot ex and then passed out." I try not to sound offended that he thinks I did something.

"Oh god... This is all my fault." The redhead begins blubbering like an idiot about what a terrible friend she is and how she loves Kat so much.

I just barely keep from rolling my eyes. Her friend is passed out and she's making it about her. Girls...

"Hey..." Nate pulls Red to him, rubbing her back. "Shhhh... this is not your fault. Let's just get you guys home." Ugh... what a sucker.

"Oh-kay." She continues to sob into his shirt.

He stands and pulls her up into his arms, cradling her to his chest. I follow suit, grabbing Kat's purse from the booth.

For a second, I wonder if we look strange, two large men carrying out incapacitated women, but nobody seems to question us.

Does this happen a lot? I'm not sure I like that thought...

Looking down at Kat's small body snuggled against me, just the thought of someone taking advantage of her makes my blood boil.

I wasn't paying close attention, but I didn't think she drank enough to be black out drunk...

Did someone slip her something?

Another wave of anger passes through my body. No, we were at the table all night. I would have noticed, right?

Maybe she had a panic attack. Do people pass out from those?

She seemed drowsy, before she began hyperventilating. I couldn't make out everything she was saying as she struggled to suck in air, but I caught enough to know her ex is a bastard.

She caught him cheating? On her? Who the fuck would cheat on her? That idiot asshole didn't deserve her.

I'm not boyfriend material, but even I know she is a rare gem. If you manage to catch her, you don't screw it up. Especially with some random whore. God damn. Makes me want to punch him in the face.

I have never understood cheating. What the hell do you gain? Just break up if you want to be with someone else. It doesn't seem that hard to me...

But maybe that's because I've never really been in a serious relationship. So what the fuck do I know, really?

All I do know is that she needs someone right now, but not in the way I was hoping. I will suck it up and try to be a good guy for tonight.

But just tonight.