The Coma Girl ; Part 2

The booming lightning made it impossible for Tom to fall asleep. He even tried "life hacks" that are supposed to make him more tired but actually made him more aware. He still didn't want to believe that you were in a coma. It had been two weeks since the incident and Tom's guilt had grown immensely.

Sleep was not in Tom's favor. Somehow, his feet dragged him into the kitchen and his hands began to rummage through his refrigerator.

"You shouldn't eat at this hour," a voice behind the fridge door comments.

Tom sighs. "Can't I just have a moment to myself?" He closed the door to see you cross-legged on his counter. "What are you doing here?"

"You tell me," you shrug. "I'm just a hallucination."

'Great,' Tom thinks to himself. 'Now it's not only when I'm sleeping, but when I'm wide awake.'

"Remember," you interrupt his thoughts, "I know everything that goes on in your mind. You might as well just talk out loud."

"I don't want to seem crazy," Tom states.

"You're by yourself, who cares? It's not like one of your friends is going to barge in unannounced."

Tom walks to his couch with a beer in his hand and plops onto a cushion. "You don't know my friends."

You appear next to him in the blink of an eye. "Again," you point to your forehead. "I would explain how the brain works but you only studied that once and your memory is very vague on the subject."

"I wish you would stop talking," Tom groans.

"Oh," you grin. "I think I have an idea, which is actually your idea, on a more useful way to spend our time. Stand up."

"Why?"

"I can't physically hold something so you have to set this up."

**

"A bubble bath?" Tom questions. "What do you even do in a bath?"

You shrug. "We're already in it so you better think of something." Tom rests his chin on your shoulder and sighs. "You do that a lot. Why?"

"I'm so sorry," Tom says. "I wish I didn't put you in this situation."

You stroke the hair on his head. "Things happen for a reason whether they're good or bad. The only thing we can do is wait for something to change. It's okay if this is taking a while. I'm still alive and breathing. Focus on the good as best as you can."

"I'll try," Tom nods. "I wish you were really here."

"I know," you smile shyly. "It'll happen sooner than you think, don't worry."

"How can you be so sure?"

"Hope," you simply reply.

You are both startled when the front door downstairs closes. "Tom?" Is that his current girlfriend? When was the last time she was here?

"Oh no," your wide eyes fill with worry. "I should go."

"Please, don't leave," Tom begs before you disappear from his embrace.

"Tom?" the woman yells, footsteps traveling up the stairs. "Are you awake?" She sighs in relief when she opens the bathroom door. "Thank goodness you're here. Why did you draw yourself a bath?"

"I-I was feeling a little tense," he says. "What are you doing here? I haven't seen you in two weeks."

"Really?" she's taken aback. "I was just here yesterday. Does your head hurt?"

"Not that much," Tom shakes his head. "What do you mean yesterday? You yelled at me for almost twenty minutes then stormed out the house. That had to be a couple weeks ago."

"Honey," she crouches next to the tub, "that's not what happened. It must have been a bad dream you had last night. I would never yell at you."

Tom chuckles uncontrollably. "That can't be right. Right? Ow." He holds his head and his vision begins to blur.

"Tom? Stay with me! Tom! I'm here for you, don't worry. Please, just stay with me!"

***

'What was that beeping noise?' Tom thought. He tried to change his position but was stopped by the tubes in his arms and nose.

"Tom?" His hearing was adjusting so he couldn't tell who was talking. "Are you awake?"

He opens his eyes to see hospital lights, his girlfriend, and one unknown female figure. "Ow," he tries to sit up in his bed.

"No no," his girlfriend fixes his pillows. "You may end up hitting one of your bruises."

"What happened?" Tom asks, avoiding eye contact with the oddly familiar stranger in his room.

"You were in a car accident," his girlfriend explains. "It was a head on collision but your car got most of the damage. When they found you, you were unconscious. No one was sure when you would wake up."

He uses his pointer finger to summon his girlfriend without making a scene. "Who's that woman in the corner?" he whispers.

"Oh," she looks over her shoulder. "That's [Y/N]. She was also involved in the accident. She wanted to be here when you woke up. I think she would visit you everyday, even if it was just the two of you here. She's very nice. Do you want to meet her?"

"No!" he replies, almost too quickly. "I-I mean, is she mad about the accident? I am the one who caused it."

"No one's mad at you, Tom," she reassures him. "We're all just happy to see you awake and well. Please. She's been wanting to see you since the first day of your coma. You can even let her do all the talking." Tom was hesitant but nodded anyway.

Your eyes sparkled with fear and excitement when Tom invites you to talk to him. "Hi," you nervously greet him. "Sorry about all the flowers in your room. I didn't know which kind you liked so I bought all of them."

"Thank you," the corner of Tom's mouth lifted slightly. "I appreciate it." There was a bit of a silence between you two but it didn't necessarily feel awkward. The feeling couldn't be described. "Sorry I hit you with my car."

"Don't be," you shake your head. "Things happen for a reason whether they're good or bad."

"Yeah?" Tom raises an eyebrow. "I feel like I've heard that before."

"Oh it must've been from me," you blush. "The doctor says that if you're  persistent, someone in a coma may hear what you're saying. When I visited you, I would talk and talk or read something. I also talk when I have indescribable feelings to express, like this moment."

"That's okay," Tom assures you. "We are in a weird situation."

"That'll be fixed. Every situation has to have an outcome. We just don't know when it is."

"Hm," he nods. "Never thought of it like that before."

"I also make up 'inspirational quotes' when I'm nervous. I have a lot of bad habits. I'm already bothering you with them and we just met."

"You're not a bother." Tom smiles. "It's nice to have positive thoughts."

"Excuse me, Mr. Hiddleston?" a doctor interrupts. "I need to ask you some questions of what you remember from the incident."

"I will get out of your hair, then," you say, gathering your things. "It was great to meet you. I'll see you around."

Tom was half paying attention to the 'important' instructions the doctor was giving. He was too busy thinking of where and when to see you again. Why didn't he get your personal information? There's another excuse for you to visit him if he has to stay in this hospital much longer. But his one repeated thought was: "How soon could he get you to come back to him?"