o n e // colorless

I wash my face with colorless water. Oh, how I wish it had some color, any at all, so it could finally put some into my lifeless cheeks, or even tint my translucent life.

It has been three months of summertime sadness. And I don't mean my own, because even if I was as sad as the trees in winter time, it wouldn't be enough to touch a single heart in this town, much less the very heart of it.

Everyone mourned Jax Morrison. I did too. And now everything in this house has changed and the empty bedroom across from my own is the only proof he ever existed. And I know this, because I hear the whispers they don't want me to.

My brown hair matches my brown eyes. Both colorless, too. I wonder, how can things which are coated with layers and layers of melanin, be so colorless? Maybe, I should put some effort into it. By it, I mean my life.

I walk to the cold floored kitchen and sit down on one of the empty stools. The one on the left, to be exact, because the right one is reserved for the royal ass that would never sit there again. My mother wears black, but my father is the color black itself. Together, they remind me of a sad, unfinished painting.

We eat in silence, and this kind of silence is the only comfortable thing in the house. Nothing else seems to fit in anymore. I know I never did, but now nothing else does. Not even my parents. I munch on flavorless pancakes. Everything seems to be less, nothing more.

I know their joy of living went by the name of Jackson Ray Morrison. Jack. Jax. Jaxie. I also know that not even three months later do they believe how it all ended, but I don't blame them, no one else does. But I do.

I shove my plate aside. "Can I borrow your car?" I speak to my mother, knowing damn well I don't need to. There is a perfectly good, shining red sports car waiting for me in the dusty garage. But I don't dare asking them for it, like they don't dare offering.

She nods in response. "Have it back by five o'clock, I need to go grocery shopping."

I grab my black bag and throw it over my shoulder. First day of school hasn't even started, and I am already dreading it. I kiss my mother on the cheek and give my father a pat on the back. I had never done that before, but today I felt like I needed to do it, for a reason I knew very well, but didn't feel like accepting.

I get in the black Mini Cooper and throw my bag in the backseat. As I back out of the driveway, I abruptly stop as I almost hit something. Scratch that. Someone.

"If you wanted to kill me you should've kept going, not stopped," I hear before the passenger side door is opened, and Nex's face pops up. I am surprised I can see her face at all, under all the unnecessary makeup.

"Stop throwing yourself behind my car and maybe it won't look like I want to kill you," I roll my eyes, watching as she closes the door and fixes her almost black hair. Her equally dark eyes turn to look straight into mine. I wonder if she knows how deeply into them she's staring.

"And make your life easier?" Her eyebrows hitch up, as if issuing a challenge I was more than interested in being a part of. But not today.

Tearing my gaze from hers, I continued my task of getting to the driveway and finally started paving my way to my personal hellhole, Eastchester High School.

Nex rolls down the window and turns up the speaker volume, the song blasting through the radio obviously magnifying her ability to be extremely annoying. And damn her, she's excellent at that.

"Do you have to do that?" I ask, my gaze on the street before us.

"Do what?" She says absentmindedly, as she hums the tune of the annoying song.