prologue, riley

"Sometimes it lasts in love
but sometimes it hurts instead."

We said that we wouldn't be those people. The type of best friends who fall in love and have some mishap and never talk to each other again. We knew that we could never become those people. The best of friends could never drift apart so drastically, right?

The fear of taking our relationship a step farther was absolutely horrifying. The reason why we waited so long was because we were afraid to move, afraid of getting hurt, afraid of being left by the other. Most importantly, we were terrified of loosing our friendship.

Loosing our friendship was probably one of the things that I would forever regret. The fact that we went from being so close to being nothing but strangers punched a deep and dark hole in my chest. A dark black hole that I was literally suffocating in. It became hard to breath.

Everyone perceived me of the good girl. The girl who always followed the rules and someone who always kept their promises. For someone who was looked at as someone who followed the rules, I broke the most important one.

It was becoming harder and harder for me to keep what happened to us a secret. I had been denying answering anyone's questions about the old Riley and Lucas. The Riley and Lucas that was voted "most likely to be high school sweethearts" in only the eight grade. Plans change, I guess.

All of our classmates gave us weird looks. The fact that we shared almost the same classes was painful. He sat in the back of me in pretty much every class that we had together. Even though I knew he was looking at the board and whatever teacher was in the front, I couldn't help but feel his eyes focusing on the back of my head.

Well, I don't think that they would be on me, anyways. He was the one who broke it off with me. He was the one who broke off the relationship probably guessing that I would be the one to keep the promise that we both made that day that we decided to be just more than platonic boy and girl best friends.

The day's painful events started coursing through my mind at that moment. Remembering my first breakup wasn't exactly something that I was s very cheerful about. The minute he said that we'd be better off as friends I dropped my hands to my side and walked away.

It was that moment that I walked away from one of the best things that ever happened in my entire life.

I walked away from Lucas Friar.