Chapter 25

I knelt down beside the stream, splashing cold water on my face. It helps me forget the nightmares that I have every night.

If I had been more focused on what was happening in front of me instead of what was going on in my mind I may have been able to prevent my worst nightmare from happening.

Instead I wasted my time sitting alone in the forest. Trying to force all of my problems away by sheer will.

It was a scream that broke me out of my thoughts. I shot up as terror gripped my heart and made my blood run cold.

Anna!

I raced through the forest as fast as I could. Barely aware of my surroundings as they rushed past me in a blur.

My lungs were burning and my body was screaming for me to slow down but I ignored it all. I had to get to Anna, I had to get to her before it was too late.

I burst out of the forest and skid to a stop. In front of me are at least a dozen men, each one armed with a weapon of some kind. I reach for my own weapon when Anna's frightened voice reaches my ears.

"Caran! Help me please!"
One of the men has her, there's blade against her neck and her eyes are wide with terror.

"If you come any closer she dies."
The man holding Anna says pressing the blade harder against Anna's skin. Her entire body is trembling.

"What do you want with me?"
I demand feeling my anger burning inside and I know that it's only a matter of time before I lose control of myself.

"We know that you're the "assasin" that's been murdering people, our people."
One man snarls.
"We've tried to teach you a lesson that'll keep you out of our lands but everytime we've tried you either killed us or got away."

"So now we're going to teach you a lesson that you'll never forget."
The man holding Anna says.
"And if you refuse to comply then I'll kill her."

Anna's eyes meet mine. They're desperate, pleading for me to save her. I hang my head and clench my hands into fists.

"Do what you want with me, but if you kill her I will slay every man that walks in your villages."
I look up and lock eyes with who I assume is their leaders.
"Starting with you."

Their leader smiles.
"You have my word."
Two men come up behind me and take my sword. They search me for any other weapons I may have and then tie my hands behind my back.

They force me to my knees and instantly the memory of when Veliron murdered my son flashes through my mind.

I force the memory to the back of my mind and focus on what's happening now.

"You have me."
I say glaring at the leader.
"Let her go."

"Oh! I'm sorry, but I'm afraid that I can't do that."
My anger bursts and I lunge forward. I would have been able to get to him if his men hadn't grabbed me and held me back.

"YOU PROMISED TO LET HER GO!"
I shout as I strain against the men holding me. I will not go through this again. I will not watch Anna die, not like this.

"Actually, I promised not to kill her."
He says trying to hide his uneasiness at seeing me in my enraged state.
"I can't let her go because she is going to be what we use to get our revenge. Isn't that right men?"

They shout their approval and I struggle even harder than before.
"Caran!"
Anna screams.

"Shut up she elf!"
The man shoves her onto the ground and pulls out a whip that was hanging loosely at his side.