Chapter 2

I said that I had never done anything wrong.

And in my eyes I am right, I didn't.

But perhaps I did do something wrong and I failed to accept it.

Perhaps I'll let you decide for yourselves whether I am guilty or not, because it doesn't matter to me anymore.

My sentence has already been carried out.

And I can do nothing to change it.

////

A couple years pass and I find myself near the southern border of our land. The air is cool and crisp with the coming of winter and I watch as the last few golden leaves of autumn fall to the ground.

I am with the rest of the Guard as we patrol the area. There have been no sightings of men ever since the night of my wedding but we can never be too cautious.

I have a bow and quiver of arrows on my back and a sword at my side. My hair is pulled back and tied in place by a leather strap.

The others may prefer to keep their hair in those "warrior braids" as they call them. In my opinion it's silly and it doesn't do much to keep their hair out of their eyes.

As if to prove my point a huge gust of wind nearly sends us falling onto our backs. I catch a quick glance of Landion trying to keep his hair out of his face.

I chuckle and he glares at me, at least I think he does, I can't see his face behind all of his dark brown hair.

Once the wind dies down to a soft breeze we keep moving southward. Our home is a large forest surrounded by mountains.

We built our village in the middle of the forest, and if you climb one of the trees you can see the mountains that encircle the valley.

It's a great place to call home and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Except for our old home, and my parents. I sigh and shake the thoughts away. I still had Anna, and now I had Elwin.

Landion is the greatest friend I could have and Idhrenion is a wise leader. He takes care of his people and I am proud to serve him.

"Caran!"
Landion suddenly grabs my shoulder and nearly pulls me onto the ground.
"What is it?"
I hiss throwing his hand off.

"Men."
He says the word as if it leaves a foul taste in his mouth. The elves around us clench their fists and their anger is evident.

My own anger and hatred is burning inside me, we were all alive when men drove us out of our first home, we haven't forgotten what they did and we never will.

"Follow me."
I wave them forward and we tread softly on the grass. I unsling my bow and several others do the same. I grab an arrow and nock it in the bowstring.

If those men dare show their faces to me I will send my arrows straight into their hearts. We cautiously approach the edge of the forest and peer beyond the trees for any sign of our enemy.

"There."
Landion points towards several men walking in the distance. They aren't coming near our forest, but they aren't getting any farther either.

"What should we do?"
An elf asks Landion. Usually Landion is in charge of our group but sometimes I take over.
I don't mean to; or maybe I do.

"We kill them."
I say raising my bow and aiming at the nearest man.
"No Caran."
Landion grabs my bow and lowers it.

"What are you doing?"
I raise my voice as I yank my bow out of his grasp.
"They are doing nothing to harm us Caran. I doubt that they even know we are here, if we attack then they will find out and bring back more of their people to take revenge."