Thirteenth Chapter

Begin..

I awoke, finding myself deserted in the middle of the street. All I had was my bag. A sudden voice from behind spoke, "Wendy Jane Holsen.."

"What..? Johnny Cade?" I couldn't believe he was standing there. The roaring sirens went on, echoing the city streets. "What's happening here?!"

"You're still alive," he assured. Johnny smiled lightly then beckoned, "C'mon, follow me. Don't break the tie, y'hear?"

Although still overwhelmed and puzzled, I trusted him. He didn't have a scar shown on his face like his picture from the article, and he wasn't gloomy like I imagined. It was as if Johnny was a new person.

"I died today, Wendy." He led me where the fuzz cars, speeding down the streets, were visible. "And so did Dally.."

"What matter are you talking about?"

"Poor ol' Dal couldn't take my death."

I looked around the area and it seemed familiar. Like I've been here before but it felt different. As if I didn't exist here.

"No..." I shook slowly.

It was all too familiar. I knew this day. The night Rickson and I moved in. The night we met Dally. "We saved him– Rickson and I."

"You mean, by hitting him with your car?"

"Right.." I nodded hesitantly, "That's exactly what will happen."

He watched the echoing vacant streets, shrugging. "Never did out here.."

"What the hell's this place?"I whispered, narrowing my eyes. "Some nightmare? Why're you here? You're dead, aren't ya?!"

"It ain't your nightmare," he shook. "It's his.."

Suddenly, a guy came running passed us as if he was chased by the devil. Who was that? He didn't even look at us. The fuzz then, zoomed passed us. They were going after him. At that instance, I knew who it was..

"Dallas.."

My breathing grew heavy, pressuring with the sirens of the fuzz cars. They were the ones going to kill Dally? This couldn't be real. I reluctantly made a move.

"Hey, now! Where ya' heading off to?!" called Johnny.

I continued to run, panting. "Whattaya think, Johnny?!"

"You can't be breakin' the tie! You don't belong here!"

"Reckon that! I'm not gonna let him die."

There wasn't a word coming out of Johnny that I understood. What did he mean by breaking the tie? But as I escaped further from him, he began to blur from my vision and abruptly vanished.

I hustled for blocks and blocks in the dark vacant street, trying to catch up. They were far ahead of me. All I could see was the glimpse of the flashing red and blue lights. Thankfully, there was a man leaving his car. I ran there without a doubt, shoving myself into the driver's seat.

"I'm gonna have to borrow this!"

"Ay!—"

Stepping on the wheel, I vroomed off! I could still hear the sirens ahead of me. If this scene was based upon the past, where was Rickson and I? Our car was nowhere to be seen on the road we took when moving in. Before the fuzz could get him, I took another route. I wildly sped to him, jerking the car!