Chapter 19: The Mistake

Start from the beginning

"Wait!" I tried to explain, but was cut off again.

"That slithering git," Harry scowled, "I'm gonna-"

"Shut it!" Ginny exclaimed to both of them, "He would never hurt her, right Mione? So why don't you two just shut up and let her explain!"

There was a silence after that, and I sighed. "You're right, it was Malfoy," but I continued quickly, "I don't want to talk about it, but don't worry."

I couldn't think of how to explain that it wasn't that big of a deal, and Ron and Harry loved trying to find any fault in Malfoy. Ginny continued to look at me. "We'll talk about it later," she whispered across the table, smiling slightly.

Meanwhile, Ron and Harry looked at her angrily because she would get to know the whole story. Seeing their expressions, I added, "Guys, seriously, everything's fine."

They seemed to relax a bit, and Harry put his hand on my shoulder. "If he ever messes with you, Mione," he said quietly, "You know where to find us."

I mustered a weak smile and returned to my meal. "He doesn't deserve her..." Ron mumbled, along with some other things you wouldn't repeat in civilized conversation.

I didn't answer to any of them, but continued to eat. When it seemed that Ginny noticed that Harry and Ron were thoroughly distracted, she nudged me. "What happened?" She whispered.

"Why does it matter?" I hissed back.

"Because you're my friend, and I care." she replied.

I raised my eyebrows and she huffed. "And I'm bored," she added truthfully, "Harry and me have our first date tomorrow in Hogsmeade and I literally need to take my mind off it. But you also know that I also care."

I sighed. "He thought that I was only agreeing to be his girlfriend out pity," I explained, and Ginny frowned but nodded with understanding.

"I was upset-- briefly. But," I continued, "Like I said, it was pretty much a misunderstanding, and it's fine now."

She nodded again. "That's good," she said, "I hate hearing about drama."

I raised my eyebrows, and we both laughed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

After dinner, Harry, Ginny, Ron, and I were walking back to the Gryffindor common room. Ginny and Harry were flirting in front of us, and me and Ron were walking a few feet behind them in silence. Once in a while Ron would growl something along the lines of "That's my sister..." absentmindedly to Harry. I was observing some of the paintings on the wall as we passed them, enjoying Ron's brief silence, when he grabbed my wrist and pulled me aside.

"What is it Ron?" I asked, "Did you see something?"

I was looking around for whatever it was when I felt Ron grab my chin and turn my face towards him. I barely had the chance to register what had happened when I felt a pair of lips crash against mine. I tried to push him away, but he wouldn't let me. We had probably been pressed together for a good number of seconds when I finally mustered the strength to push him off. "Ron!" I hissed, "You can't do that! He'll- you have to go, now!"

But it was too late.

"Please back away from her," a cold voice sounded from behind me, in a very strained but frighteningly calm tone.

Ron finally let go of me, and I pushed him off, backing away several feet. "Draco," I recognized the voice, but didn't take my eyes off of Ron who had taken a step back.