Chapter 3

"You are positively sure that you can pass the class?" Britt asked, anticipation in her voice. I sat down across from her at our lunch table in the corner of the room. The table was small, only for about two or three people. It was very secluded and perfect for talking about my embarrassing math failures.

I smiled, opening a bag of chips on my tray. "One hundred percent sure. I mean, this information came from the old hag herself!"

Britt sighed disapprovingly, but had a tiny smile on her face. "Jacob, that means you have to study so hard and ace these last two tests. Do you think you can do it?"

I gulped, my stomach beginning to fill with fear. I forced a smile onto my face. "I'm Jacob freaking Sartorius. I can do anything I put my mind to." Britt laughed as she bit into her ham and cheese sandwich. But as she looked away, I tiny grimace came onto my face as I thought about how I hard it would be to pass the class.

"Oh yeah," Britt said after a pause of silence. She swallowed the food in her mouth and said, "Don't you have that meeting with the counsellors at that university you're looking at going to?"

I smiled, my worries about math floating out the window. "Yup, Hollins University!" I said excitedly. Hollins was the college I had my eyes on. It was a great school for arts education, like theatre, singing, and producing. It was the college of my dreams and in Virginia, so I wouldn't have to move away. "They want to meet with me this weekend to see if I'm a right fit for their school."

Britt smiled. "Jacob, that's wonderful! I'm so happy for you." I smiled back, thinking about college and how amazing it would be.

" I know. I'm so ready for this meeting. I'm ready to prove that I'm right for Hollins!" I said, standing up and pumping my fist in the air. A few people turned around and looked at me, snickering.

Britt got up from her seat embarrassingly, grabbing my shoulders and forcing me down into my seat. "Jacob, stop!" she hissed at me. I made a silly face at her and she couldn't help but laugh. "I can't wait to hear what happens at the university. You'll do great, I know it."

I smiled, wishing I was as confident in myself as Britt was as confident in me.