Chapter 2

It was the day after I received the news that Trenton broke up with Britt and I was still confused about my feelings for her. Did I like Britt again? It seemed that whenever we dated it always ended in heartbreak and us being uncertain whether we are friends or not. Was it worth risking our steady friendship for something that might push Britt away for good?

These thoughts were swarming my head as I walked into my first hour class, math. I sat down in my assigned seat in the front right section of the room. I looked over my left shoulder and saw that Britt was sitting in her assigned seat in the back left corner opposite of me. I smiled as she looked up at me. I waved as she returned the smile. She stood up and began to walk towards me.

She reached my seat and sat down in the desk next to me. She smiled, nudging my shoulder with her's.

"Are you ready for the Chapter 7 test today?" Britt asked, smiling a bit. I sighed, slouching down into my chair.

"I studied really hard last night," I said, tiredness seeping through each of my bones. "I hope it pays off."

Britt sighed. "Me too. You better be right next to me when I graduate from high school." Britt said as she ruffled up my hair. I groaned, smiling.

"Don't mess with the hair." I said half jokingly. She giggled, flipping her straight hair over one shoulder. Butterflies swarmed in my stomach temporarily as I felt a tiny grin creep into my face.

The bell rang signaling that school was about to start. Britt got up from the desk next to me and began to walk back towards her's.

"Later, Sagittarius." Britt said as she winked, walking to her desk in the back. The butterflies began to freak out in my stomach, then my old, ancient teacher, Ms. Rosburg, began to talk.

"Today, as you all should know," Ms. Rosburg began to say, scanning the classroom behind wire glasses, "Is your third to last Chapter test before you all graduate in three weeks, so I encourage you to study for the final test, which will be on everything we have learned this semester. This could either make or break your grade."

Ms. Rosburg looked at me knowingly, frowning. I smiled slyly, waving at my rude teacher mockingly. She scoffed and went to her desk as the class snickered. I smiled, proud of myself for embarrassing our mean teacher.

"Before you take the test, I will be handing back the Chapter 6 tests from two weeks ago." Ms. Rosburg said as she took out a stack of papers from out of her drawer. My stomach lurched as she began calling out names.

"Brittany, Hunter, Samantha..."

One by one, the students went to the front of the classroom to receive their tests from the teacher, then walked back to their desks looking down at their paper to see how they did. I watched, my fists clenching into tiny balls as she kept on reading off people's names.

"Katrina, Jacob, David..."

My eyes widened and I felt myself subconsciously get up and walk towards the front of the class. Everyone watched as I stood up, knowing that I was not the best in math. My feet stumbled as I got closer to the teacher, her gray hair becoming more vivid as I got closer and closer.

I finally reached the teacher, who was shorter than me by almost a foot. She looked up at me through cold eyes and shook her head so slightly that I wasn't even sure if she had at all.

I took my test hastily from her hands and looked down at the score. The muscles in my jaw tightened as I ripped my eyes away from the score in dark red ink. I tried to play it off, smirking as I went back to my seat.

The guy next to me, who was very popular, looked at my quizzically. I smiled, mouthing the words 'one hundred' mockingly, giving him a thumbs up. He laughed approvingly, shoving me lightly with his hand as his name was called to receive his test. I nodded my head, the smile on my face slowly erasing from my lips.