Chapter 22

Feeding a group of four demigods and a satyr was no simple task. 

Granted, Danny didn't really count. The guy was too busy scarfing down every tin can in sight. Regardless, my parents sprinted around our kitchen like maniacs, throwing flour in bowls, pouring juice in cups then dashing to the stove to make sure our eggs weren't on fire. They looked like they were on Master Chef. 

    "Really Mr. Carter," Paris looked at my poor parents sympathetically, "I can help. We can all help!"

    Danny shook his head as if to say, 'No way! Shut up!' Paris elbowed him and flashed her fluorescent white teeth.

    My father shook his head and continued to stir his waffle batter. "No, no! You kids have gone through enough the past couple of days. Let us at least make you a decent...oh crap!"

   There was smoke coming from the stove. My dad rushed over and waved a rag over the cloudy steam, trying to dissipate it. Smoke detectors began to beep through the entire house.

   "You couldn't have watched the eggs a little more closely?" My dad looked to my mom for help.

   "I thought you were on egg duty!"

   I groaned in embarrassment. This was a disaster. Why couldn't they just buy toaster waffles or Pop Tarts like a normal family?

    "Hey, has anyone seen Percy yet?" Nico came into the kitchen.

He looked absolutely ridiculous. His dark mangled hair was sticking up in every direction, sort of like his dad's.

   Paris shook her head, looking to Danny and I for answers. "We haven't seen him since we went to bed last night."

   I remembered my talk with Percy last night. "He went into the ocean for a little bit. He said he was going to go in to clear his head but he should've been back hours ago."

   "Oh man," Danny groaned. "My satyr senses are tingling."

   "What, like Spider-Man?" I scoffed.

   Danny didn't waste any time on comic relief. "Come on, you three," he gestured for Nico, Paris and I as he bolted for the beach, leaving my parents alone in hell's kitchen.

   The deep sapphire waves of the Pacific fought against each other for dominance. There was a massive single storm cloud above the ocean, sending raging winds clashing against the waters below.

    "The gods are angry," Paris gawked at the sky, "we don't have much time. We've got to get in there and get Percy so we can get to San Fransisco before our deadline." 

She began to take off her shoes. Her wavy strawberry blonde hair was whipping wildly against the strong sea breeze. Her storm grey eyes were set and determined on the vast nothingness of ocean ahead. She looked courageous, like an army general getting ready to fearlessly lead her soldiers into battle. 

     "I don't know if you know this but...we're children of Zeus and Hades. Poseidon would kill us if we set foot in there," I gestured between Nico and I.

      "He won't. Zeus and Hades let Percy pass through their realms in peace, remember? Now Poseidon has to do the same for you guys too."

      Nico nodded and began to wade into the treacherous waters without so much as batting an eye. He looked back at me with a solemn expression etched onto his face. "Well? Are you coming or not?"