A Day In The Hospital

Tommy

I kinda forgot about how small Katie is, she's five foot two and barley breaks one hundred pounds. She's got a loud voice and she acts like she's ten feet tall and bulletproof, I love that about her but it gives everyone a false sense about her. I guess it's a way to cope with her size, make everyone see her as bigger than she really is.

Katie lays motionless in the bed and she makes the little twin bed look big. She's hooked up to a bunch of different machines including a heart monitor. The doctors gave her a lot of pain medication and said that she'll probably sleep for a while but I just want her to open those beautiful hazel eyes of her's.

I want her to wake up so I can tell her how much I love her. I need to tell her that I'm sorry for arguing on the phone and that I'm sorry for promising to come home and then not being able to. I want to apologize for everything and now I'm scared that I'll never get the chance. I know that the doctors say she'll be okay but I'm still worried.

"I love you so much, Katie." I whisper. "Please wake up so I can tell you that."

I squeeze her hand in mine and kiss her knuckles. Katie's hand tightens around mine and I look up. She's looking around at the hospital room confused. Katie's hazel eyes lock on mine and she smiles.

"Happy birthday." Katie says quietly and I laugh, I almost forgot about that.

"You scared the hell out out me." I tell her. "I thought I was going to lose you."

"I'm not that easy to get rid of." She smiles weakly. "What happened to me? Last thing I remember I was with Eddie."

"They say that your appendix exploded and you were dehydrated and exhausted." I explain. "You haven't been taking care of yourself."

"I have been taking care of our daughter." Katie reminds me stubbornly.

"Baby, I know you have been and I know that's a hard but you have to take care of yourself too." I remind her and she goes cross eyed. "I love you."

Katie looks over to me again and squeezes my hand. I kiss her forehead and move her hair away from her face.

"I love you so much." She tells me. "I'm sorry for what I said on the phone."

"I'm sorry too, I know I should come home more. I know I shouldn't make promises that I can't keep. I should be there for you and Melody more. You two are my whole world." I tell her and she smiles. "I'm going to be a better husband and I'm going to be a better dad."

"I'll be a better wife and mom." Katie promises and I shake my head.

"You're already the best wife and mom." I promise her and kiss her cheek. "I love you."

"Where's Melody?" She wonders and I laugh.

"The doctor wants to check you over before Melody is allowed in here." I tell her. "She was sleeping when I got in so she doesn't know I'm here yet."

"She's going to be so happy to see you, baby." Katie smiles.

"I'm going to go get the doctor." I tell her and peck her lips. "Don't go anywhere." I joke and she laughs then winces.

"Don't make me laugh, I'll burst my stitches." She tells me and I smile.

"I'm sorry, baby." I tells her quietly.

Katie

I'm perfectly fine but the doctors want to keep me in the hospital for another night for observations. I feel like I could go home but Tommy, Alex, and Eddie are all telling me to listen to the doctors. Melody is allowed in the room not and Tommy has refused to leave my bedside so we're spending his birthday in the hospital.

Melody is sitting beside me and Tommy is sitting beside the bed. Melody went home with Eddie to get books and toys and Tommy's cake, my husband was so happy when he saw the cake and it made me so happy.

It was getting later in the afternoon and closer to when Melody would usually nap. We read a couple books and after that Melody fell asleep. She has ahold of Tommy's hand in one of her hands and mine in the other. Melody misses when all of us are together and this is how she deals with it, the first few nights that Tommy is home from tour she crawls into bed and holds our hands while she sleeps.

"We got lucky with her, huh?" I ask as I comb hair away from her eyes.

"Yeah, she's pretty perfect." Tommy agrees. "She must get it from you."

"I was going to say she got it from you." I admit.

"Do you ever think about having another one?" He asks. "I mean we make fucking cute kids and Melody is like the perfect kid. She's really good with other kids."

"Yeah, I think about it." I admit. "I mean I couldn't think of not having siblings and I definitely don't want Melody to grow up without siblings."

"Melody is big enough now that we could have another baby and she'd be okay with it." Tommy continues. "There's a year between Athena and I and what? Seven between you and Eddie?"

"Yeah, I was a bit of an accident." I admit with a laugh. "I think we're in a good place to have another baby."

"Yeah, me too. I'll be home from tour for a while at the end of November and we can try again." He says.

"We're going to need a babysitter or something." I remind him.

"We could get Eddie and Valerie or Alex and Kelly." Tommy says and I nod. "We never really had a honeymoon, baby. We're like two years late but we can go somewhere and do the honeymoon thing." He offers and I nod.

"It could be good for us. I mean I haven't been away from the baby for any length of time before but it could be good." I admit and he nods.

"It will be." Tommy promises and kisses my lips quickly. "I love you."

"I love you too." I beam.