Fever

My birthday is always a weird thing, I mean everything is closed and no one really wants to do anything but tell people about their New Years resolutions that they have no real motive to complete. My birthday has always been this kinda lazy day so I got used to not wanting to do anything for my birthday.

When Tommy came into my life, that changed. Tommy loves making a big deal out of my birthday and I still can't figure out why. I mean last year I was seven months pregnant and snuck onto a mini golf course. It's like he wants to make every birthday on mine memorable even if we don't do the conventional birthday things.

Tommy assured me that he had something fun planned for today which worried me a little bit. I'm not sure how he can plan anything because it's hard to plan with a ten month old. I mean they're not exactly agenda oriented.

I woke up to my baby crying and my fiancé coughing his lungs up. I pull on a sweater and a pair of pyjamas pants. I walk downstairs and into the kitchen, Melody is crying in Tommy's arms and he's really freaking out.

"Hey, what's wrong?" I ask as I take Melody.

"She won't stop crying and I feel like shit." He mutters.

I feel Melody's face and she's really hot, Tommy must've seen my expression change because he looks really worried. I start to walk upstairs and into the bathroom. I pull out the baby thermometer and stick it in Melody's ear. My fiancé stands in the doorway and watches me. The thermometer beeps and I look at the little screen, 101.1.

"She's running a fever, baby." I explain. "That's why she's cranky." He nods but coughs again. "Baby, come here."

"I'm not sick." Tommy mumbles as he walks towards me.

I reach up and feel his face and Tommy is warm too. I look up at him and he can tell that I'm worried.

"You're hot, baby." I say and he laughs.

"I know, baby." Tommy tells me and I roll my eyes.

"I think you're running a fever too, maybe you should take a cold shower or something. I'm going to give lamb a cold bath." I explain and he grumbles. "Then I'll make soup." I laugh and he smiles. "Go." I smile.

"Yes, ma'am." Tommy agrees and takes Melody. "I'll bath her though, we don't need you sick too."

Tommy baths Melody before returning her to me and going to take his shower. The bath brought Melody's fever down some but it shortly spiked up again. Tommy's cold just seems to get worse as time passes. Melody falls asleep before I finish making soup so Tommy is sitting at the island watching me.

"It's your birthday you shouldn't be cooking." He mutters and I smile. "This really isn't what I had planned for today."

"I can't imagine that getting sick was on the itinerary." I say and he half smiles.

"We were going to go down to the beach and have a picnic or something. Melody would've ran around and had fun--as long as she'd stay away from the water." Tommy explains. "My plans didn't involve you making chicken soup."

"It's not chicken, it's vegetable." I say. "We don't have chicken in the house."

"You know what I mean." He laughs. "You know I love you, right?"

"I mean we have a child and we're going to get married so I had my suspicions." I laugh and he smiles. "I love you too."

I go over over to where he's sitting and I like when Tommy is sitting, I'm taller than him when he sits. I wrap my arms around his shoulders and he smiles up at me. I kiss his lips gently and he quickly pulls away.

"No, no, I'm not getting you sick." He says and I screw up my face.

"Uh no." I say and kiss him again. "I don't care how sick you are, you're my fiancé and I will kiss you if I want to." I state and he laughs.

"Yes, ma'am." Tommy laughs and kisses me again.

"How are you feeling now?" I ask and rub his shoulder.

"I'm always better when you're around." He admits. "I'm going to make this whole birthday stuff up to you."

"Don't worry about that." I assure him.

"Uh no." He mocks and I laugh. "Im going to check on our baby."

"Okay, sounds good to me." I agree as he stands up.

Tommy goes to check on our baby and returns. I make him eat and take medicine and he mutters something in Greek but I know he only knows how to swear so that always fun. We finish eating and go into the living room where Melody is snoring in the play pen, we get set up to watch a movie just to relax. Tommy had pulls my legs on top of his and fingers are brushing against my knee.

Its weird to be sitting in absolute silence because Tommy is usually always laughing and joking around, it must be because he's sick but it's really weird. I wish I could make him and Melody feel better, I'd get sick if it meant they could feel better. I just hate to see them like this, it like this sickness is dimming their glowing personalities.

"I'm sorry you had to spend your birthday taking care us." He tries to apologize again.

"Baby, stop it." I say softly. "You know that I don't mind doing this. You're my babe and that's my baby, it's my job to make sure you guys are okay. Just like you say it's your job to keep Melody and I safe."

"But--"

"But nothing, okay?" I ask and he smiles.

"You're going to get so sick." Tommy laughs. "Then it's going to my turn to take care of you."

"I have a really bad immune system from being so premature, I'm surprised that you got sick and I didn't." I admit and he smiles.

"So this is going to hit you hard when you get it." He says and I shrug.

"I might not get sick." I say. "Or I hope, I hate being sick."

"No one likes being sick, baby."  Tommy laughs. "I should know."

"I know, I know." I agree. "I love you."

"I love you too, Katie." He says and kisses my knuckles.