Bring Forth the Fire!

"Michael," my mom called from downstairs as I went to change for the firepit today. "Should we not expect you home tonight?"

"Probably not," I said and leaned in to kiss my mom's cheek. "I don't know if the guys wanna do something afterwards. Maybe we'll go get high and sell our bodies," I joked.

"Better make sure to save some weed and bring in some good profit. Thank God you didn't get everything from your dad or you'd be a terrible prostitute." My mom joked along. God I love her!

"I'll let you know!" I waved goodbye as Lilly honked from her car letting me know they're here.

"You guys really wanna go?" Lilly asked us in the car. Lilly and Micah were on the organization committee and were in charge of the firepit and didn't want us to feel obligated to go but, she's Lilly so of course I'd go.

"Yeah, maybe Michael can finally lose his V-card." Mason joked as Dante and Stuart laughed .

"Wouldn't you want to know," I winked at Mason who rolled his eyes.

When we got to the clearing where the firepit would be, we saw the group sit by a tree and we made our way when Jeffrey appeared out of nowhere and bumped into me spilling his drink over the both of us.

"Watch where you're going Gaylord," Jeffrey grunted as he went to get napkins.

"I'm sorry!" I called after him receiving only glares from him and his buddies. Glad to know I'm off to a good start.

"Forget about them, come on. The food awaits!" Mason said as he made his way to the table of food.

The firepit was okay. Food was grilling, a shit load of snacks were on the dispersed tables, and nothing major happened. Just maybe that the football team threw in some cheerleaders into the small lake, but other than that, nothing much happened. We told each other ghost stories as the night sky clouded over and then it all ended when it started to rain.

"Fuck!" Lilly cursed as she went to help clean up.

"I thought you guys checked the weather?" I went over to help as well seeing as I'm already soaked.

"It said there was a 4% chance of thunderstorms, and there weren't any other days to have done this!"

We cleaned the clearing and left. In the car it was uncomfortable since my wet clothes was sticking to me and leaving me cold. Lilly was going to drive us to her house but seeing as we were soaked, Dante proposed that we go to his place instead so we could change.

"Can you drop me off at home? My parents don't want me out late since tomorrow we're going to visit my grandma," Mason asked.

"Me too? Sorry Dante, I just don't want to be around for when the moaning starts," Stuart chimed in.

"'s okay, we have Michael to torture in your honor," Dante winked, receiving a playful slap from Lilly who laughed.

"Um, no thank you. I'd just want some clean clothes and I'll head home so I can pretend to know that you two aren't doing the straight-nasty," I added.

We waved bye to Stuart and Mason when we dropped them off at their houses and then headed to Dante's where we changed.

"Thanks, but I'm gonna head home," I headed for the door.

"Dude, it's like cold and dark outside. Maybe you should stay the night. We promise we won't do anything to make you feel like the third wheel," Dante pleaded.

"No, I was only kidding. I know you guys won't do anything, but I just wanna walk home and think. I promise to call when I'm home mom."

"He has a point Michael, it's dangerous at night," Lilly added as she wrapped herself in a blanket on the couch.

"I'll be okay," I waved bye and left before they could protest anymore. It was cold and I loved being outside after a thunderstorm, but I didn't think it was this late when I checked my watch that read 02:43.

The only comfort I took in is that A) it's too late for drunks to be driving (I hope), B) I don't have much to be mugged for, C) it's a long ways out from the main road so I won't see many people or cars, and D) I brought my headphones. I played some music as I walked and began thinking about my upcoming freshman year at UCLA. I was immersed in my thoughts that I failed to noticed someone calling after me.

"Your Royal Gayness!" Jeffrey's voice boomed beside me sending me jumping. "I've been calling you. Off to your shift on the corner I see." Two people beside him laughed.

"No," I smiled softly, "I don't work on the corner anymore, sorry." I played along hoping to discourage him from walking in step with me.

"You little-" he was caught off when a truck veered off the road and was headed for us. His two friends weren't near so it was heading straight for Jeffrey and me. Jeffrey was a frozen deer not bothering to register that soon we'd both become pancakes and as the truck neared I did the best thing I could to not die:

I pushed Jeffrey towards his friends and didn't move fast enough to avoid the truck.