Quick Guide to Medieval Terms

Start from the beginning

Seneschal – the Seneschal was in charge of domestic arrangements, and the administration of the servants (Also called Steward).

Chaplain – the Chaplain was responsible for all religious matters in a castle or medieval house. He held prayer services, and could also be consulted on matters such as annulments of marriage in the lower-classes (higher-classes would consult the King) (3 Pennies per day).

Footman – the Footman was found only in the grandest houses during the Middle Ages, and was often prized for his good looks; a handsome footman was seen as a reflection of the wealth of the household he served. The footman served meals at grand dinners, opened and closed doors, announced guests and moved furniture or luggage.

Head Cook – the Head Cook was in charge of the kitchens, and prepared most of the food (1 Penny per day).

Preparer – the Preparer helped the Head Cook to prepare food in the kitchens (2 Farthings per day).

Server – the Server arranged food on platters before it was taken up to the dining room (2 Farthings per day).

Scullion – the lowest ranking servant in the kitchens, the Scullion did menial jobs such as cleaning dishes, sharpening knives and cleaning the kitchens before and after food preparation (1 Farthing per day).

Clerk – the Clerk was the medieval equivalent of a modern-day secretary. The Clerk could read and write (skills uncommon in many of the lower-classes during the Middle Ages), and sometimes helped to organise the monetary accounts of the household.

Maid – the Maid was a female servant that helped with the running of the household. There were several types of maid, including below-stairs maids (did a lot of the cleaning), chambermaids (cleaned and organised the rooms of the nobles and their guests) and ladies' maids (cared for the Ladies day-to-day, mended clothing, packed luggage for journeys, etc.)

Messenger – the Messenger took written or verbal messages from the sender to the recipient. He was sometimes used within the household, but was more often sent to another household, area of land, or even kingdom, to deliver his message (Messages send within a household were often delivered by a Page) (1 Penny per day).

Ewerer – the Ewerer transported heated up to the garderobe (washing room), and sometimes helped with the gathering and washing of dirty linens.

Lamplighter – the Lamplighter was responsible for lighting fires, torches and candles. In the Middle Ages, floors covered with reeds or straw were common, so lighting had to be done carefully to ensure the castle or house didn't burn down.

Jobs in the Grounds of a Castle/House:-

Master of the Horse – the Master of the Horse was responsible for overseeing anything regarding the stables and the horses of a household; from buying new carriages or horses, to construction on the stable buildings, the Master of the Horse was consulted.

Stablemaster – the Stablemaster was responsible for ensuring that the day-to-day care of the horses of the household was of a high standard. He inspected the stables and monitored the work of the grooms to make sure that the horses were being properly cared for.

Marshal – the Marshal was responsible for the transportation of the household. He ensured carriages and carts were kept in good working order, and ensured that the harnesses were kept clean and ready for use.