Quick Guide to Medieval Terms

Start from the beginning

Courser – these were a general cavalry warhorse; the most common type of horse used in medieval warfare. They were cheaper than Destriers and Palfrey's – due to their being less-highly trained – and were able to travel great distances at steady speed (5-10 Pounds).

Rouncy – these were general-purpose horses, usually used for general riding and hunting in the lower-classes. They could also be used as pack horses, but not as cart horses. These horses could cover ground at speed, and were sometimes trained for swift pursuits in battle. (Also called Hackney's) (1-5 Pounds).

Draught – these were heavy-set horses that were mostly used to pull carts, ploughs or heavy weaponry in battle. They were most commonly used by labourers for their working abilities, but were sometimes found in the stables of the upper-classes to pull heavier carriages (10 Shillings-1 Pound).

Jobs/Professions

A brief outline of the common types of work, both in medieval household and in medieval settlements, and some of the wages they would receive.

King – the ruler of the land, the King (or Queen) protected his kingdom from invasion, gifted areas of land to Lords and settled disputes over land ownership, taxes, etc. (30,000 Pounds per annum).

Lord – the Lord was the administrator of an area of land within the kingdom. He ensured the land was profitable, and that law and order was kept. He paid taxes to the King, and sent soldiers, horses and weaponry during times of warfare (200-10,000 Pounds per annum).

Lady – the Lady was the wife of the Lord. Usually without an occupation, the Lady would spend her time painting, playing music, reading, sewing or sometimes hunting. She also helped with the running of the household; maids would discuss matters of wardrobe or linen with her, for example.

Knight – the Knight protected and served his King or Lord. He acted as both a highly-trained personal bodyguard, and as a trained soldier during warfare. He also helped to train his Squire and Page (Wealthy Knights may have more than one Squire or Page), so that they could become Knights themselves (4 Shillings per day).

Squire – the Squire was a man in the second stage of training to become a Knight (having been elevated from the position of Page). He assisted his Knight by cleaning armour and weaponry, guarding prisoners the Knight captured, dressing the Knight in his armour, carrying the Knight's flag and caring for the Knight's horses (1 Shilling per day).

Page – the Page was a man in the first stage of training to become a Knight. He was responsible for sending messages (mostly within the Knights own household, or the household of the Lord the Knight served) and performing menial tasks for both the Squire and the Knight (2 Farthings per day).

The Household Guard – the Guard of a household could be made up of separate Day and Night patrols, so that the household was always guarded. Members of the Guard could be Knights, Squires, Pages or hired mercenaries. The Porter was also a member of the Guard; he was in charge of monitoring who entered and exited the lands or household premises of the Lord or King (6 Pennies per day).

Jobs Inside a Castle/House:-

Butler – the Butler was in charge of the beer and wine cellars in large medieval houses.

Reeve – the Reeve of a castle or medieval house was in charge of communications between the upper- and lower-classes. He was also in charge of organising any construction that took place on the grounds belonging to a castle, and obtaining the services of any lower-class workers that would be required, e.g. stonemasons, carpenters, labourers, etc. (Sometimes called Bailiff).