His Butler, Faithful

“This is it,” said Ciel, looking out the window. The mansion was looming closer as their carriage drew near its gates. He was dressed in his utmost fanciest- black breeches, a long coat with a white, frilly button-down shirt, a top hat, and his family ring. Sebastian was dressed similarly, with his hair slicked back and hatless. His attire was complete with a gold pocket watch on his albert chain.

Sebastian, while pleased with how closely Ciel resembled him, as to not draw unwanted attention, he was even more entranced by April’s dress. She had managed to put on the whole dress herself without any help, and still looked royal. She wore a gown dark as chocolate, with emerald jewels to bring out the green in her eyes. Her glasses had been discarded, and her makeup was done superbly. Sebastian wondered where her talent came from. Her only weakness was her hair, which he was more than happy to help with. They’d been able to get it up into a way where her locks curled elegantly at the nape of neck. Green and brown hair pins adorned the right side of her head, which did well to detract from the red of her hair, which wasn’t too vibrant to begin with.

He suppressed a smile as he stared at her glorious figure. In his eyes, she was fit to be the Queen of England herself. “Are you ready, young master?” he said.

“Of course,” Ciel replied. “And Sebastian, I ask that you do not call me master for the rest of this evening. Remember, I am your son.” He smiled at April. “Are you nervous, Lady Michaelis?” He found this a bit funny and chuckled to himself.

“Lady April Michaelis,” she laughed. “Oh, the absurdity of it all!” She winked at Ciel, who only laughed harder.

Sebastian scoffed. “Is the idea of being my wife that horrifying?”

Even in the darkness of the carriage, he was pleased to see her intense blush. “N-not at all, Sebastian!” she said. “Not that I fantasize about being your bride, but-” she sighed. “-it’s just strange, thinking of myself as your lady.”

“Well, April,” he said. “If there was any woman who could be at my side tonight with the young master, I’d say you are perfect.”

“I agree,” said Ciel. “You are very intelligent, and quite beautiful without those wretched spectacles. Not to mention, you are a servant of the Phantomhive household.”

“Yes,” she said, her smile evident in her voice. “You are too kind, sir, showering me in all these compliments. I hardly am worthy of your praise.”

Before Ciel could say anything more, the carriage came to a stop in front of the manor’s brightly lit doors, and their driver opened the door to usher them out. “It is time,” said Ciel. “Sebastian, keep your eyes and ears open for the suspect.”

“Yes sir.”

Because she was the lady, April was helped out first. Sebastian followed, taking her arm. And then Ciel came out after them, taking April’s hand. “Remember to smile, young master,” Sebastian said under her breath to the boy.

April squeezed his hand reassuringly, and Ciel promptly grinned widely. “When the night is over,” she whispered to him, “I shall prepare you a splendid cup of hot chocolate.”

“That sounds wonderful, mother,” he answered. His response startled Sebastian, even though he knew full well it was to keep up appearances, as they entered in the thick of the party behind Blackwell’s butler. He never heard Ciel sound so tender before. It was unnerving, but at the same time endearing.

“Hello! Hello! Welcome!” Sebastian turned and saw Lord Blackwell coming his way, his arms opened in a most dramatic way.

“Count Sebastian Michaelis and his fiancée April Phillips. His son, Ciel Michaelis,” the butler announced. Sebastian wrinkled his nose at the old man. His voice was far too raspy and quiet to have announced their arrival in the proper way.