The Things You Don't See

"Are you sure you can trust this Mattie character?" Perry asks, fretting.

LaFontaine nods, their expression mirroring Perry's. "Not really sure we can accept the word of someone who almost strangled you to death."

Laura shrugs. "She's just... An overprotective sister," she explains. "Who just happens to be a witch okay with killing nosy residents of this house."

"Darn, and here I was, thinking I was special," Carmilla sighs from across the room. "But apparently you give everyone a pass."

"It's not a pass," Laura says, narrowing her eyes playfully. "I just... don't believe Mattie's evil. Plus, she did call the house last night to say she's stalled your Mother with a vague explanation for why you're taking so long." She wiggles her eyebrows. "And by the way, you are-- special."

"Okay, Crushes-on-Ghosts," LaF teases, laughing as Laura swats them in annoyance. "So Per and I were talking last night and we had an idea. You know how Carmilla is stuck haunting this piece of property?" Laura nods. "Did she have like, a contract?"

Carmilla nods. "Verbal one, but I don't remember most of it."

Laura rolls her eyes. "The useless ghost says it was verbal but she doesn't remember most of it."

Perry sighs. "Well, here's our idea. What if the thing tying her here is a deal? And the deal is that she can only be a spirit if she's stuck here?"

Laura and Carmilla nod. "Makes sense," Laura replies.

"So what if the reverse is true? She's stuck here because she's a spirit?" LaF adds.

"Where are they going with this, buttercup?" Carmilla asks Laura. "I'm getting bored."

Laura cocks her head to the side, irritated, and Perry and LaF look at her, confused.

"Carmilla's being annoying. Continue," Laura says, earning a smirk from Carmilla.

"Our idea is that we might be able to stop Carmilla from having to haunt this place if she's no longer a ghost," Perry says.

She lets this sink in for a bit while Laura chews her lip in thought.

"How would that be possible? Like, make her a human again?" Laura asks.

LaF shakes their head. "I'm thinking that ship has sailed, Laur," they sigh. "But we bumped into Danny and her boyfriend earlier and told them this theory and he got all excited about something and dragged her off."

"Then we got a vague text from her this morning saying to come over here and explain everything to you before they come here," Perry finishes.

Carmilla lets out a long yawn and stretches. "Oh boy. Can't wait."

Laura pouts. "Be nice. They're helping."

"I'll believe it when I see it," Carmilla snorts. "Don't get your hopes up, cutie. They don't know me so they don't owe me anything—"

The doorbell rings and Laura goes to open it. "Uh, hi, Danny."

Four sets of footsteps enter the living room—belonging to Laura, Danny, and two guys.

"This is my boyfriend, Wilson Kirsch," Danny introduces.

A guy with a goofy grin waves. "Hi! I'm Kirsch."

"Real brain trust over here," Carmilla retorts, earning a glare from Laura. "I'm just saying, the last person the red string bean brought over tried to expel my ass to Hell."