Un-living Conditions

"So. Your ghost's name is Carmilla Karnstein. She died here in 1698. She was ferrying girls off to some monster named the Dean until 1872, when she began trying to save as many as she could by scaring them off," LaF summarizes. "And now you wanna separate her from the house to save her, and vanquish the Dean. Did I miss anything?"

Laura shakes her head, flipping through a book. "Nope, that's it."

"'That's it,'" Perry scoffs. "Laura, this is insane."

"I agree with the uppity redhead," Carmilla says, still unable to be heard by anyone. "Which I never thought I'd say."

"You can't just go head-to-head with this thing without knowing the first thing about it," Perry continues.

"That's why we're splitting this up," Laura says, turning another page. "That is, assuming you guys still wanna help?"

Danny nods immediately. "Yeah, Hollis, totes still game."

"I guess," Perry sighs. "Depending on what you need us to do?"

Laura gives them a grateful smile. "I haven't totally figured out a game plan, yet. But when I do, I'll let you guys know?"

Perry nods before she stops abruptly and looks around. "So... d-does that mean Carmilla's around right now?"

"Uhm, I think so," Laura says. "I don't see her or anything, so I'm not sure. But since we spoke she's still eating my cookies and opening my curtains..."

"I wonder what she does with all her free time if she's not scaring or pranking you," LaF comments.

Laura giggles. "If I was a ghost, I'd turn the TV over to BBC and make them watch nothing but Doctor Who and Torchwood or Orphan Black. Or find some Buffy re-runs."

Carmilla rolls her eyes.

"Or, I'd collect all the dust in the house. And the person living here would be like, 'wow, my house is so clean, I wonder why!' And then they'd open like a closet or something and that's where I'd put all the dust," Laura continues.

A ripple in the air. "Oh, geez, buttercup, you're even more lame than I thought you were."

Laura yelps and jumps out of her seat upon seeing Carmilla sitting on the couch next to her.

"What? What is it?" Danny asks at Laura's sudden outburst.

"Y-You guys can't see her?" Laura asks, clutching her chest.

"Nope, that privilege is reserved just for you, cutie," Carmilla purrs.

Perry looks around the room. "See who? Carmilla? Is she here right now?"

Laura nods and sits back down, chewing her lip. "I, uh, thought you did a ghost version of storming off. I wasn't sure if you were gonna come back."

"Of course I'm back," Carmilla says simply. "Not really like I can go anywhere."

"I meant... I wasn't sure I'd ever see you again," Laura admits quietly.

Carmilla's face softens a bit before she clicks her tongue and brings the sass back. "Dream on, creampuff. I'm not going anywhere."

"What's she saying?" LaF asks, curious.

"Oh, you know. Usual vague and annoying stuff my ghost likes to say."

Carmilla chuckles. "Oh, I'm your ghost, am I?"

Laura grins. "Well, duh. Who else would it be? You're my terrible roommate." She gives Carmilla a warm smile and Carmilla rolls her eyes with a smirk.