.: 03 - The Marking :.

Returning home was a quiet one. Even though Isabella and Airen became close over the years, sometimes it was hard for Isabella to know what the other was feeling. There were only the rare instances - like back in the town - where her knight showed what he was really feeling.

The castle was shadowed by the setting sun. Its regal appearance struck pride in the hearts of those of the kingdom. The enchanted material making up the large structure made it seem darker than what it really was.

"Thank you for taking me," she said after Colt was safely put back in his stall. "I know I worried you, it was wrong of me to wander off without telling you."

Airen looked at her finally, seemingly shocked out of what he had been thinking. "Oh, um, I understand that you're free-spirited. I support you, princess. I am not upset with you - if that's what you were thinking."

Isabella broke out into a smile and twirled about. "I'm so glad! I don't know what I'd do if you were mad at me."

Airen's chiseled face wore a smile as well, "And I would be lost if you were upset with my performance."

Isabella's face quickly flushed and she turned around, choosing to walk ahead. "You are a great knight to me, and companion. I relieve you of your duties today."

"Thank you, Isabella." He bowed, and the two went into the castle.

The princess watched as her knight went down a separate hallway. If she knew her knight, he was going to train. Airen had a heavy desire to stay strong. What was his goal in life? He never shared with her. She just knew he was very loyal in serving her.

Isabella went straight to her quarters to dress nicely. It was a requirement to do so by her mother. Her mother was the strict parent, even more so now with Isabella older. She had changed drastically over the years. Her father was kind, but there was always an air of mystery about him. He tended to stick to himself more often than not. When Isabella was little, she would often catch him standing alone to himself wherever was quietest. She knew that ruling the kingdom must take a great toll, but the way her parents had been acting as of late was concerning to her. Was it because her coronation was drawing ever near?

Her bedroom was her sanctuary. It was vast and complete with everything she needed and more. The best thing she could have asked for was the large window overlooking the backyard of the kingdom, complete with window seat to enjoy a relaxing read.

There was a knock at her bedroom door, and her handmaid carefully opened the door to peek in. The princess smiled at the mousy lady, her light brown hair was in small curls and it framed her round face.

"Meredith," Isabella greeted the woman who already looked tired for the day.

"Hello, princess." Meredith sighed as she shut the door, smoothing her apron free of wrinkles. It was a habit Isabella noted over the years as a sign of nerves.

"You seem tired, what happened?" Isabella was curious, and she walked over to pick out a dress from her wardrobe.

"I had to direct everyone on cleaning the ballroom, and to go over the dinner chart for the week." The older woman slumped on a chair at Isabella's vanity. "I very much don't like being head of the servants."

"But you're so good at it!" Isabella commended, looking back at her. "No one is bossy like you." She chided with a cheeky grin.

That made the woman laugh, and she shook her head. "Maybe. I just hate feeling blisters on my sores. It's not easy being the 'bossy' handmaid."

The princess glanced at her after sifting through her closet. She tried hard not to laugh. "As much as I know you've had a long day, I need help." Her plea was heard in her voice. She had always been bad at finding proper attire to wear.