Chapter sixteen

Gale held her reins as she pushed herself into the saddle. She held her reins tightly and leaned over to whisper in Vlad's ear.
"Don't do it for me, do it to prove Amber wrong. Prove you really are Vladimir Miracle-maker," She sat back in her saddle again and kicked Vlad on.
"Good luck, Galeee~!" Jackson called after her and Victoria joined in with a gleeful squeal and a thumbs up.
Gale stopped Vlad at the start of the course. She waited for Carol to tell her to go.
"1..." Carol called "...2..." Vlad lowered his head, staring straight at the first jump. "...3..." Gale gripped the reins and steadied herself. "Go!" At the sound of Carol's voice, Gale pushed her heels down. Vlad pelted forward. Gale kicked down again, to get him into a canter. They need enough speed to get over the rail. Vlad bent his front legs so that he could glide over the bar. He pushed off with his hind legs and Gale braced herself as his hooves met the ground. They landed smoothly and Gale pulled Vlad to the right, sharply. He turned towards the next jump, which was a little closer than Gale had anticipated. It was another single and Vlad went straight forward at the sight of it. He flew over the rail, tail swishing through the air. His hooves were well above this rail, by maybe an inch, and they made a thump as they landed on the other side of the jump. Gale balanced in the saddle, looking through Vlad's ears. This turn gave them more space to manoeuvre. The upcoming jump was a cross bar that Gale had no doubt they would make. Vlad powered forward and past over it without stopping, stepping over it more than jumping. After this was the first oxer, something Gale dreaded. There wasn't much time to think about it though, as it came almost straight after the cross bar. Vlad soared over the two rails, right over it's centre. It was as though he was suspended in mid jump, which give Gale the time to get into an exemplary jumping position. Vlad's hooves crashed onto the sand and his hind legs dodged over the last rail. Gale pushed him on and turned him to the left towards the next single. They sailed over the bar with perfect posture and Vlad landed more gracefully this time. This turn was a bit sharper and went almost straight to the last oxer. Vlad pushed himself over the rails with his hind hooves and tucked his front hooves under him. Gale knew they had jumped a little too early. Vlad's back legs might not clear the last bar. He touched down on the other side of the jump, pulling his hind legs after him. The edge of his hoof clunked against the rail. Gale listened carefully for the pole to thump on the ground but no such sound came. She kicked Vlad on to the last obstacle, another cross bar. He sprang over it, landing lightly and swishing his tail high in the air.
A chorus of cheers sounded from across the way. Gale turned Vlad so that she could see Jackson, Victoria and Jake applauding. She smiled and pretended to take a bow.
As she walked Vlad back to the gate, she looked across to the jump that they'd knocked. The rail was still as it was when they started. Gale petted Vlad on the neck.
"Good boy," She led him out of the arena and Carol closed the gate behind her.
"You did great!" Victoria congratulated her friend.
"That was pretty impressive," Jackson stroked Vlad nose. The horse exhaled, loudly, and nuzzled at him. Gale smile widened.
"Next, up will be the racers, on the race track!" Carol picked up her stopwatch and began to make her way down the path.
"Wish me luck!" Jake untied Apollo and the others followed him and Courtney to the track.
Gale spent most of her time there watching the riders speed around the track while leaning against Jackson. She was amazed at how fast Jake and Apollo were. He ran 5 furlongs in just under a minute and barely looked tired afterwards.
"See, normally, I race on Thoroughbreds; I'm not used to racing on Welsh Section Ds," Jake commented as he dismounted.
"But, that was incredible!" Victoria smiled and went to congratulate him more. Jackson smiled and looked back at Gale.
"You missed the best part of today," He told her, knowingly.
"Why's that?" Gale replied.
"You were too busy riding, so you didn't see Amber's face when you got a clear round," Jackson laughed, softly. Gale chuckled into his ear.
"Lovebirds, ready for your results?" Jake handed them folded pieces of paper from Carol. Gale took her's and opened it, slowly.
"Oh, my gosh!" She stared at the paper. "A*! How's that even possible!"
"No faults and a good time, that's how it's possible," Jackson gave Gale a smile. Just as he said that, Amber huffed past them, angrily.
"Not pleased with your result?" Gale asked her as she storm off. Jackson and Gale went back over to Victoria and Jake.
"I have to ring my parents," Gale told Victoria. "I've got something super important to tell them."
"What? That you have a fantastic new boyfriend!" Jackson grinned, looking rather sure of himself.
"No, something even more important!" Gale laughed and Jackson faked a frown.
"Okay, class dismissed!" Carol told them.
"Let's go to our room," Victoria suggested and her and Gale walked back together.

"Hi, Dad!" Gale said as he picked up the phone. "I was wondering if it would be possible... Well, you see... I met a horse here and...-"
"She wants you to buy him for her!" Victoria cut in.
"Yeah, yeah... I guess that's what I was getting at..." Gale inwardly cursed her best friend. Victoria sat listening, carefully. "Uh, huh. Sure. Thanks, Daddy. Love you, bye!"
"What? What did he say?" Victoria asked.
"Well..." Gale smiled. Victoria's mouth gapped open.
"Did he...?" Victoria's smile widen.
"Vladimir is now officially Vladimir Robins!" Gale squealed. Victoria gasped and shrieked with delight. Her and Gale jumped onto each other and fell onto the floor together. "My Dad's ringing the school right now to make the payment and buy Vlad so that he'll be mine!"
"That's incredible!" Victoria sat back up.
"I got the feeling that this is just the start of all that's incredible," Gale smiled. Who'd of thought over this term she'd have met some perfect Cowboy Casanova, a possible champion jumper and had the opportunity to beat Amber at something. She guessed she had only one person, or horse as it was, to thank for all those miracles; Vladimir Miracle-maker.