#1 Not a good night for everyone

London, 1845.

A great storm was showing all its force, strong rain and lightning  brightened the dark night sky.
Water flowed over the streetground. 
At that time, there was a mother trying to calm down her baby inside a house in Dawson Street. 

Two beggars kids with mismatched clothes were eating hard bread inside a abandoned factory. 

The whorehouses were filled with laughters of men who acted as gentlemen as long as the sun was out and women whose only objective was to earn a little more tonight. 

An old lady was looking at the rain falling through a big window. 

-It's a good night - she said while softly smiling. 

Her white hair was arranged neatly in a high bun. Her long black skirt and white blouse were simple and elegant. A cup of hot tea recently brewed was over the small table, next to a brown armchair. At that moment, another lightning appeared once more. 

That lady was over fifty years or even more but she still had a youthful appearance, of maybe, a woman in her thirties. 

Then, she decided to finally walk away from the window and sit down to enjoy the tea. 

Meow. A black cat entered through the door to the library. 

The lady welcomed the black cat and made gestures with her hands to call him over. The cat looked at the woman with its yellow irises and jumped on her lap. Meow. 

-I see. You are curious too, Moon. -The lady looked back at the cat with her green eyes. Then, she reversed the almost empty tea cup over a white plate. Three seconds later, the lady took the cup and looked at the leftover tea at the bottom. Her expression did not change. 

-Well, it seems like it's not a going to be a good night for everyone after all.

Meow? 

-Destiny can be tricky sometimes, Moon. 

In the outskirts  of the city, in the small and dark alleys, there is a man running desperately, almost as if his life depended on it.

Plat! Plat! Plat! The man did not need to look behind to know that someone was after him and, with the pass of time his terror only increased.
He was not a man of riches, only a factory worker that scarcely had enough to provide for his family of five.
So, if he didn't have any valuables, and that was quite obvious with a sight to his plain, ragged and worn out clothes; even his appeareance was quite plain, with brown short hair and dark eyes; so he only had his life left to offer to his pursuer.
He only ran, never looking behind, never seeing another. He only listened to the plat plat sound not too far from him, even disregarding the lightning and thunder above the city.
He ran until he could not run anymore; his legs shook incontrolably and his breath was erratic. He didn't have any strengh left, and thus he fell on his knees, and then completely, with his lips touching the wet and cold ground. 

He instinctively knew that he had no longer a chance to return to his home, to his family. He didn't know what he had done to end up like this. 

Some seconds that felt like hours passed, and finally his pursuer was within mere steps.
Paul could not see the face of the person who would terminate his life for an unknown reason, for his strengh had been completely already spent. He only managed to see a pair of well maintained black leather shoes. But even so, he wanted to know that reason so he simply directed a question to his soon-to-be murderer: 

-Why?

A light chuckle was emited in response to the almost inaudible question, followed by the sound of a gunshot that reached many streets. The mysterious killer waited for a few seconds until the body completely died. Then, the killer opened a red umbrella and left with his large brown raincoat and long dark blue trousers.  

The lifeless body of Paul rested on the wet alley, under the heavy rain, with a quick formed river of fresh blood on the ground.

-------------------------------------------------
I don't know if you like the story so far. Please be patient with me and comment if you want. Thanks for reading. This story will be in Webnovel too.