Chapter 5: The Gang

A laugh shot out of me and I gripped his hand without hesitation as it had been so long since I'd seen another human being.

"Sin," I said as a reply. "And don't you mean 'meet' you?"

"Well, I didn't exactly ask your name when I slammed into you," Stephen chuckled, but stopped when Jerrico barked.

"Ah, who's that? I noticed he seems quite handy," He smiled, running a hand through his brown, shaggy hair.

"His name is Jerrico," I murmured and turned to see what he was barking at. My eyes widened to see that it was more humans, carrying deadly looking weapons just like Stephen. Of course, how could there not be? Stephen couldn't have taken them all down by himself.

"There's more of you... " I whispered, disbelief coating my voice entirely.

"You bet. You didn't think us city kids would make it?" Stephen chuckled, swinging his rifle across his back and before I could reply he held out his hands. "Here let me take him for you."

I might have protested, but to be honest my muscles were weakening and the shocks from today were catching up more and more.

"Thank you," I murmured. "And that isn't what I meant, you know."

Stephen smirked. "Someone's gotta have a sense of humor in this bloody awful world, even if it is morbid."

I opened my mouth to reply to him but just then the people I seen closed in.

"Hey there, name's Piper. It's nice to see someone that's not a flesh eating monster," a girl with long black hair and blue eyes said, grinning widely at me.

I smiled back, still unable to fully grasp that these were real, breathing humans.. It had been so long.

"She's lucky though. Almost was zombie food," another guy with a blonde buzzed head murmured, his frame seeming to radiate a sense of concern. "Lyle. Glad to see you in one piece. Your friend on the other hand seems to need some help."

"He's my brother.. His name is Will and I'm Sin. A Reaper almost got hold of him if not for Jerrico here," I motioned towards the dog as a wave of pride rushed through me. "I was hoping the city might give me some sort of shelter, food, maybe some sort of other weapons against the undead."

Lyle nodded. "Yeah.. The city has some goods here and there, but we still aren't sure if it's worth all the undead to kill to get to the goods. Anyways, enough talk. We should get you all to somewhere safe. We took down quite a bit of them, but there's always more...always."

"You got that right, for sure," Piper murmured, grimacing at the thought as we began our journey to shelter.

***

On our way to wherever the shelter was, I took in the sights of the city. It was just as intimidating up close as it was far away and I knew if it had been just myself, an unconscious Will and Jerrico I would have gotten us lost within the maze of streets and decay. 

The city was a mass of rubble and skeletons of building structures which looked haunting like a grave yard of what was once living.

Every so often Will would mumble in his sleep, a tormented look scrunched on his face and occasionally Stephen would trade him off to Lyle and back again to give themselves a break. Piper kept shooting a worried glance at Will and give me a half-hearted smile of reassurance that worried me further.

Along the way we crossed paths with undead, but they weren't anything Piper, whichever guy wasn't holding Will, Jerrico and I couldn't handle. More of us together was definitely better than the months Will and I spent alone.