Chapter 4: Falls Brooke

The streets were nothing short of something out of horror movies they once thought interesting, maybe even funny to show. However, there was nothing funny about the bloody, decaying corpses that I slunk by with Will in my arms and Jerrico by my side.

These bodies were all in different stages of the infection... Some newly killed, others on the last leg as they twitched and moaned on the ground, preparing to rise. All I could think as I glanced around was there couldn't possibly be sign of life anywhere amongst all the undead aside from us.

And soon we'll probably join them...

A sudden snarl from Jerrico made me jerk to a halt and I watched as he lunged for an undead attempting to reach for my leg. He snapped it's hand clean off with his massive jaws and I winced as it let out a piercing scream.

My eyes widened as the scream echoed around the area and soon more screeches followed, rising into the air like a nightmarish symphony. My horror kicked up to an extreme level as I adjusted Will in my arms. He was still lost, eyes blank and body quivering with fear and I wished more than ever he was awake and conscious. This way we might both die as I couldn't run in the slightest and I sure as shít wouldn't abandon him to become a zombie chew toy.

I glanced around rapidly, eyes peeled as I knew the screams would no doubt alert every single undead within range and draw them to me. I might as well have had a neon sign that read : Zombie Food Here! floating above my head.

Jerrico's hackles were raised and he emitted a ferocious growl as he glanced into the distance, towards the city. Probably seeing our impending doom and yet he still put on a brave front. I admired him more and wished we had more time.

My stomach dropped as the screams became a torrent of crashing waves against my ears and the ground shook below my feet.

So many... My god.

The fear I had felt only tripled and I could already feel their nasty fingers slicing into my weak skin, their mouths tearing through my muscle straight to the bone. My stomach rolled again with nausea and I hoped I didn't vomit as it could attract them even more though I doubted anyone could be more pinpointed than myself and Will right now.

Jerrico's snarls were louder and more aggressive. I glanced into the distance and I felt the blood rush far away from my face, leaving me so light headed I almost dropped Will who was now mumbling incoherent things along with trembling worse.

The sight that I saw almost ensured that I signed my life away to become one of the disgusting undead. A sheer wave of rotten bodies appeared, many stampeding others into the ground below and causing a bloody pool to form.

Despite the fact they were mutilating each other, it wasn't enough to slow those who could continue. Hell, even the ones that were mangled twitched in our direction.

I wanted to run.. Scream... Cry.. But none of that was useful so I waited, hoping beyond all that could be hoped for. The massive wave continued forward while the bodies littering the ground seemed to writhe and moan more as though they gained strength from their undead creators drawing close.

Jerrico's growls turned more vicious the closer the undead came and Will seemed to fall silent, shaking in my arms. I couldn't do a thing as I watched them close in. There had been many times over the months with Will that I thought it would be our last, but never had I pictured it being this way. I felt so alone, I figured in our last moments we could hold each other in the movies and tell each other how much we loved and cherished one another. Of course, this wasn't the movies, this was real life and in real life nothing was ever the way it was in movies.

All of a sudden a voice touched my ears, loud and clear and very much living human.

"Get down!" They shouted and just to insure I did as such, smacked right into me, forcing me down into the dirt with Will who I barely had time to adjust so he had minimal damages.

I whistled for Jerrico and he came in a heartbeat, letting out a huff at the person behind me who kept me down but I shushed him, latching onto his collar. Not even a second later and a round of shots and booms went off towards the massive mob and all around us, leaving my ears ringing and Jerrico struggling to get away, but I held tight.

Screams riddled the air, but it was like the sound of heaven's harps greeting me because they were the screams of dying undead. I could hear bodies explode and snarls, but it was the squeals of pain I relished.

As the silence filled the air finally and my ears slowly began to stop their ringing, I felt the body near mine shift away and come to a stand. I could no longer hear a single zombie and even the ones around me seemed dead. As I sat up, releasing Jerrico who staggered up, but stayed close, I noted that the ones around me were dead and in the distance more lay dead. I knew deep down that not EVERY undead had been killed, but it was enough because I survived Falls Brooke. We survived.

I squeezed Will tight who was still lost and now hoped he'd wake up soon instead of thinking we both might die. My eyes welled with tears, but I shoved them away as I glanced up at our saviour.

He gave me a crooked grin and held a steady hand out to me, "Stephen, pleasure to run into you."