Chapter 2: Will

The blackness that had engulfed me faded and my eyes opened up to see a starry sky. I flinched as feeling returned... My head throbbed at a constant rate. Every five seconds a new wave of pain would wash through me.

I attempted moving... worst idea, ever. Every part of my body ached, especially my stomach and as more feeling came back I realized that I had dried blood caked all along my face.

Slowly, I reached behind my head and winced. I had a large piece missing on the back of my head, it had scabbed over but made it no less painful. The sharp prickle in my stomach drew my attention and I cautiously sat up. The prickle turned into a pulling burn and I quickly lifted my shirt to find that the glass shards had been removed and my stomach was wrapped in almost-clean gauze.

The almost-clean gauze brought thoughts of Will to my attention and I pushed myself up into a sitting position, the burning sensation pushed to the back of my mind.

Once propped up, I noticed everything I had grabbed from the apartment was gone... I knew from the fall I was bound to have it scattered, but not just gone. I forced myself to my feet, ignoring my aches and pains and almost collapsing from dizziness.

As the dizziness subsided I took in my surroundings better. Abandoned courtyard (or so I thought) and no sign of Will or the undead. Too afraid to call out Will's name in case the zombies appeared, I stumbled out of the courtyard door and ended up facing some stairs.

I climbed the stairs, through an archway, around a corner and smack! Right into one of those foul mouthed Spitters. I gasped, taking in the putrid stench of the Spitter.

The undead turned and I watched as it's mouth began foaming, building up acid-like spit. I backed up, stumbling over a root that had punctured through the concrete and fell.

My body filled to the brim with terror as the Spitter's acid saliva overflowed and dripped to the concrete with a sizzle. It gurgled, just about ready to spit it's vomit smelling saliva when a couple of loud thwacks sounded.

I gazed up to see it's head rolling off it's rotting body and blood raining. Standing up and shrugging off the blood, I looked to see who had prevented the zombie from melting my skin with acid saliva.

Will... It was Will.

He dropped the crowbar and rushed forward, squeezing me and making me wince, but I didn't care.

"Shush, it's okay. I'm fine," I mumbled into his hair as it started to rain.

"I... I th-thought you'd never... wake up," Will sobbed, hugging me tighter. "I thought you were dead! You've been passed out for three days."

Three days?! Jesus Christ...

I squeezed Will and bent down meeting his brown eyes.

"Did you watch over me all that time?" I asked, my heart melting at how upset Will was.

He nodded and I burst into tears, squeezing him tighter against me.

"I'm so sorry, Will. I'm sorry I didn't think... I'm sorry you had to be all alone.. Im-" I choked up as Will covered my mouth with his hand.

"It's okay... you did what was best for me. I get that. I'm just glad you're okay, Bryn."

He hugged me again and handed me the canteen. I figured he ate what he could of the moldy bread. I didn't care, I didn't need to eat or I'd find something else. I sipped from the canteen and handed it back to Will.

Grabbing the crowbar, I headed out with Will into a maze of alleyways. As we passed abandon houses it began to downpour which meant having to stay on guard even more.