Lending a Helpful Hand

Today was no better than yesterday or the day before that or the day before that. Cassidy was still following me around and talking my ear off. I sat at the desk in the science class we shared and groaned when she sat next to me again.

"Well hello to you too Alaska." Cassidy said, "I enjoyed our talk in the library this morning."

"It hardly classifies as our talk since you did most of the talking."

"Tomato, tomato." She said, shrugging her shoulders and looking at me.

"You do realize there is a correct way and an incorrect way to say tomato right?"

"You do realize the only way I'm going to leave you alone is if you tutor me right?"

I rolled my eyes, pulling my notebook from my bag and staring up at the teacher who was about to begin his lecture. Cassidy was still staring at me, although she wasn't talking anymore which was a relief.

Didn't she say she was failing science? I could see why. She didn't even have a notebook or pencil out to begin the notes he was about to give us.

"You know, taking notes could help you pass the class." I told her when he began to talk and she still made no move to start the notes.

She nodded, taking out a piece of paper and a pen after fishing around in her black bag for a few seconds. She smiled at me before she actually began to take notes, although she couldn't write as quickly as he spoke.

Her hand shot up, "Mr. B?"

He looked surprised, "Yes Cassidy?"

"Could you repeat that last part again?"

"Sure thing." He said, repeating it again while she copied it onto the sheet of paper.

Class went on like this, her hand shooting up every chance she got because she was a slow writer. I could tell Mr. B was getting exasperated with stopping every few seconds to help her out. I grabbed her hand from the air when she rose it again, and slid my notes her way so she could see them. She smiled at me, not a cocky smirk, but an actual grateful smile. Mr. B flashed me a grateful smile as well, nodding his head slightly as a way of thanking me.

"Thanks Alaska." Cassidy said, following me to my next class.

"It wasn't for your benefit, it was for my own. I knew he would never finish that lesson if he kept stopping to help you." I rolled my eyes.

"Well thanks anyways." She smiled at me again before turning on her heels to go to her next class on time.

That was unusual. Usually Cassidy would babble about random things as I stopped at my locker and made it to my next class. I didn't plan on complaining about it though. Maybe she was done following me around and bothering me.

Thinking about that made me sad. Was she really done talking to me? I enjoyed talking to her, sometimes. Maybe the better words were I enjoyed listening to her talk because I hardly engaged in the one-sided conversations. I sighed, maybe if she was done annoying me, it was for the best. I could focus on my studies again, although my grades never suffered from her distractions.

***
I was wrong about Cassidy relenting and leaving me alone. She was already at the lunch table and beamed at me when I sat down next to her.

"Hello buttercup." She said, smirking at me.

I ignored her and rolled my eyes, although part of me was happy that she was still bothering me. She began to babble on about how the cafeteria food was inedible and how I only brought fruits & veggies to school for lunch so she could never just steal some of my food.