Wandering

Chapter 2 | Wandering

After detention, I headed over to the wonderfully small bookstore a few streets away. I had only been there one other time, but I hadn't stayed for long. While I was there, the owner, a woman maned Lorelei told me that I was probably the fifth or sixth person there in a few months. I was also told that it used to be a small shop, but Lorelei had changed it into a tiny, barely managing bookstore.

And I loved it from the moment I stepped in several months ago.

I vividly remembered the bookstore, which was tucked between a drug store and a barber shop. Something about it stuck my interest. Nobody else bothered to spare it a second glance, but the pastel pink outside caught my eye. The color was fading and the paint was chipped away. And it was called A New Chapter.

I don't know what compelled me to go to the bookstore after a few months. Maybe it was because home wasn't so homely anymore. Not that it ever was. It was just a house with walls and windows and ceilings. Home was much different.

I approached the bookstore and pushed open the door, a light chime ringing above me. I faintly smiled at Lorelei who looked slightly panicked. She rushed away before I could ask what was wrong. I shrugged, walking towards the nearest bookshelf. The smell of books engulfed me, making me grin to myself.

I ran my fingers along the spines of each book, lost in my own world, that is, until if saw something move out of the corner of my eye. I whipped around only to find four other teenagers standing awkwardly, looking as if they were hurriedly trying to leave. I raised my eyebrows in surprise.

"Are you even in the right place?" I blurted out. I wouldn't be so shocked, but they were your usual stereotypes. The bad boy, the nerd, the cheerleader, and the jock. And they were hanging out. Together.

"Yeah." Answered the nerd, pushing up her wide-framed glasses that covered half of her face. I just stared at her vibrant purple hair that was in a messy bun on the top of her head.

"Right." I breathed under my breath. I uncomfortably looked around before settling my eyes on my clasped hands. "Well, I'll be going now."

"Wait!" Wincing, I turned around. "You won't tell anyone, right?" The purple-haired nerd stepped closer.

"Won't tell anyone? Do you even know who I am?" She looked frightened for a second, but I just snorted. "I'm the loner of the school. I don't have any friends, so I don't have anyone to tell."

"I-- uh. Okay." The nerd gaped before composing herself, "Would you like to join us?"

"Join you?" I scoffed. "Look, I didn't come here to make new friends or whatever. I just wanted to get a book and be on my way. Is that too much to ask?" I turned on the heel of my foot.

"What's your name?" A different voice asked. It was definitely the bad boy or the jock, telling from the deep voice. I swiveled around again, crossing my arms over my chest.

"My name? I don't tell strangers my name."

"Well, you have a last name?" A different voice asked. I looked at the blonde jock, his hands intertwined with the cheerleader. Typical.

I tapped my foot against the floor, "Chancellor." I looked at each of them confidently before swiveling around, scanning the bookshelves.

I know I rendered them speechless for whatever reason. I could feel their stares drilling into my back, making me turn around once again. I raised an eyebrow, shifting my weight to my other foot. They watched with curiosity, like I was some foreign species that was just discovered.

"Do I look like a zoo animal or something? 'Cause your stares aren't very pleasant."

It was the purple-haired nerd who spoke first, "You're alright in my book. Welcome to the gang."

"Gang? Ha, yeah, no." I snorted, "It was nice meet y'all and whatnot. But I'd like to leave now."

"We haven't even introduced ourselves to you yet." The jock complained while the bad boy dramatically put his hand on his heart for emphasis.

"Sure I do." I pointed to each of them, "Cheerleader, jock, bad boy, nerd. The end."

"I'm Reece Collins." The bad boy - Reece - introduced irritatedly, probably because of my behavior. His cobalt blue eyes glistened as he pointed to the nerd on his left. For a second, I thought they had a thing going on. That's what happened in the stories, right? The nerd falling for the bad boy and vice versa? I kept thinking that until he actually spoke, "That's Lizzy, my twin."

I felt slightly embarrassed as I thoroughly observed them. Usually, I was good at picking out stuff, but this time I hadn't even bothered to spare them a second glance. I realized that they did look alike. Reece and Lizzy had the same shade of clear blue eyes and defined features. As I looked closely, I noticed that Lizzy's roots were the color of Reece's hair - light brown. Even though Lizzy had a petite build compared to her twin, they both had that strong and confident look.

"I'm Luke Montgomery and this is Kate Roberts." I took in the couple in front of me. They were complete opposites when it came to their appearance. Kate had bold red hair that framed her face likes waves of lava while Luke had the messy, golden blonde hair. Luke had chocolate brown eyes that were nothing compared to Kate's eccentric green eyes. While she was slim, he was broad-shouldered and more muscled. What a couple.

The cheerleader - Kate - had this blank expression on her face, as if she was still processing that I was there, standing right in front of her. She could have been dumb for all I cared, but she didn't seem like the type. Kate hadn't spoken at all and that unnerved me, actually.

"You're so pretty!" Kate finally gushed. My eyebrows shot up. I didn't expect that from her at all. I was thinking that she'd want me to leave the minute I caught them all together, hanging out. And then all of this made me realize something. These four teenagers were being themselves, not the ordinary cliché high school students that I thought they were.

"Thanks?" I purposely made that come out as a question. I found myself to be bland - except for my green eyes, which were still nothing like Kate's bright emerald orbs. Her hair was like fire, while mine seemed like charcoal. In fact, I didn't have her nicely tanned complexion or slender figure. I was pale from staying inside my room and getting no sunlight, and I especially didn't have a body like hers. But somehow, Kate still called me pretty.

I guess we just saw the same picture with different meanings.

I was thankful when Lizzy changed the subject, since I didn't want to dig deeper into the subject of attractiveness. "So, why are you in A New Chapter?"

"I could ask you the same thing. But I decided to stop by and grab a book or two."

"We just wanted to--" Reece glanced at the others, "--to escape, in a sense." I didn't question it.

"Cool," I tilted my head down, stuffing my hands in my pockets before looking back up. "I should really go. Uh... Nice meeting you guys."

Kate opened her mouth before closing it again, as if she wanted to say something but then changed her mind. There was an awkward silence before Kate finally spoke. "Yeah. Nice meeting ya, too." I slightly waved before turning on my heel. This time, I didn't turn back.

I waved to Lorelei on my way out, forgetting about the whole reason I came to the bookstore anyway. Surprisingly, I left feeling better than before.