Luca was a good friend and was always on my side, even when I hadn't been on his. He had been one of the four trainees who stumbled upon the winter stone - a beautiful white necklace filled with powers that increased one's own abilities. Luca had been there to help me figure out who the traitor was - although I'd suspected it to be him for quiet some time. Shortly after that, the stone had been seized by the King, and in return, it was stolen from him. That was when we first suspected a traitor, but we'd have never guessed it to be one of our own.

I understood why Titus had done it. He'd been a Slynathis Rebel, one with a mission to kill the King and end the ten year war between Iceland and Fireland. It was a noble cause, but I couldn't support the methods in with he used to claim his power. Because of Titus, many now suffered, especially the Ice Prince.

"Did you come from the castle?" the girl asked, and I turned toward her curious face. I hadn't realized I'd been staring at the Prince for so long.

"Why do you ask?"

"Because, that looks a lot like the Prince of Iceland. I know because I was told exactly what he looks like. No one has eyes that bright or blue," she said.

"You're smart for a girl," I told her, brushing the apple off on my dress before stuffing it into my pouch.

"You have to be, around here," she told me. "Too many thieves and wild animals. There are also many strangers who might want to cause trouble for a young lady like me.

"I'd be careful, if I were you," she continued. "I may be young but even I know about the King's orders."

"And what's that?" I asked.

"Well, whoever finds the Prince must return him to the kingdom to face trail for treason."

I frowned at her words and looked over at Luca to read his expression. He turned toward me with a frown and then returned his gaze on the girl.

"We've been gone less that 24 hours," I told her. "How had word traveled faster than us?"

"Birds," she said, looking up at the sky. I, too, lifted my eyes above me, noticing a few birds flying against the darkening backdrop. "They carry messages to the north. It's common knowledge."

"We don't communicate that way in the south," I admitted, glancing down at her shocked expression.

"I've never met a southerner before," she said. "Many people come to the North: Eastlanders looking to trade, Westlanders looking for a new home, but the Southern Clan? Hardly ever come this way."

"Well, don't tell anyone that you met me. Our identities must remain a secret," I told her.

"Then you might want to keep his head covered while you journey into town or they'll know," she said, and although her voice was young, her words were full of wisdom. I felt as if I was talking to someone my age.

"Thank you again," I nodded, watching Luca hand her three stone coins and grab the rest of the meat. We split up as he limped toward his bear. I was glad to see him doing better, having rested over the night.

I walked toward Sebastian and lifted his dark hood over his head. He turned toward me. "What was that for?"

"Well, we haven't even been in the north for twenty minutes and you've already been recognized," I told him, looking down at the off white bear with blood staining his mouth as he tore at his meat. "It's best you keep your hood on, your majesty. The girl says everyone knows that you have fled the castle and is wanted for treason."