Chapter Six - In Sickness and in Health

Chapter Six

In Sickness and in Health

I WAS CONVINCED MATTHEW WAS BEDRIDDEN FOR MONTHS.

            He had to be, what with his femur bone snapped in several places, his right wrist shattered, about several dozen cuts and gashes over his body, and who knows how many ribs broken. If he was human, he'd be a lost cause and would most likely last a day or two in his condition. But after only one night, Matthew was to sit up and talk without sounding the least bit raspy. During one of our many conversations, I asked him how he was going to handle bedrest for several weeks, to which he replied, "Three days I'll be walking around this house on my own." I didn't believe in until day two.

"You steady?" I asked as he leaned against me, using my shoulder as a sort of crutch.

He nodded and made sure to use his arm rather than his wrist to hold me close to his right side. "I'm eager to get out of this horrid room."

I cracked a smile as we took several somewhat shaky steps forward. "This is your own house and you're calling it horrid?"

Matthew smiled back at me, pain clear in his eyes, and pressed his lips to my temple. "It's small and the bed is quite uncomfortable."

I had to agree with the last part. I slept in the bed with him for one day and developed a neck cramp and shoulder pain, not that I was going to let him know that. "Are you sure you want me to help you to the bedroom?"

"I wouldn't want anyone else escorting me to the bedroom." He looked down and flashed a grin.

"You know what I mean. I'm sure two body guards or maids would be better than one scrawny woman about half of a foot shorter than you. You're also heavy."

"If you don't feel like you can help me, I'll call for someone else. I just prefer having you at my side holding me tight."

I rolled my eyes at him as we continued down the hall. "You probably got yourself injured just so I'd do this."

Matthew chuckled and took a few more unsteady steps. "I wish that were the case. I would have done it last week if I had known you were going to be this sweet."

"Sweet? I may just poke you in your bandages if you call me that again." I flashed my teeth at him and tried to not show how much I was struggling being his support.

Matthew stared at what was in front of us, his amusement fading the longer he stared. "Why on earth did I decide to put this many stairs and sleep on the third floor?" he questioned faintly.

I tried not to let him know how much I was dreading this, especially considering I was pretty certain I was developing a bruise in my side just from holding him up. "Oh, are you scared now? I thought you were a tough nine-hundred-and-something-year-old vampire?"

He looked down at me with narrowed yet playful eyes. "Is that your pep-talk?"

"Just move your legs, Foster, and try not to throw us both down the stairs."

He smiled in amusement and pressed his lips against my forehead. "I'll walk with the railing to my left so I can put most of my weight on my left."

I didn't argue. Matthew is pretty heavy for his size. "Slow and steady."

We made it about halfway up the stairs when Matthew decided to take a break. I was amazed he was even able to walk this far considering his right leg was still broken as well as his wrist and several ribs. He never complained, though I could see the pain in his eyes. When he decided to continue I didn't say anything.