Path To Paradise

Suited up, I was with Cannerts transfering some on Thomas' blood into Cinco's. I still can't get what happened out of my head.

"Trey! Wait!" Cinco yelled as the man began coughing again. I pushed Cannerts far behind me as I lifted my mask to my face.

I heard a gun cocking while the guy kept coughing. Trey held his gun up, "Stay away from my brother!"

"Wait!" Jake yelled.

Cinco jumped in front of me as Trey pulled the trigger. The bullet went through the man's chest, but the blood landed on Cinco instead of me.

If it wasn't for Cinco, I would be stuck in this room instead. He doesn't even know me though. The blood was meant for me, not him. Now his life is on my hands. I owe it to him and Trey.

"Dr. Cannerts, what are you doing?" Jake asked.

"I'm drawing the antiserum from Thomas' blood, mixing it with interferon, and introducing it into Cinco's bloodstream in real time." Cannerts said as he got the needle ready. He passed me the needle and I carefully injected it into Cinco's arm. We needed to do the transfusion. "The combination creates a drug cocktail that could save him."

"You ok there, Thomas?" I asked as I walked over to his bed.

"I'm ok." He said tiredly.

The blood began going through Thomas' tub and into Cinco's. Thomas looked like he was going to pass out. But only a little more until he could fully rest.

"Shut it down." Jake told me.

"No." Trey said.

"They're hurting the kid. You guys are hurting him."

"I don't care. My brother needs it."

I gave Jake reassuring smile, "Don't worry. We're monitoring him. Just one more vial and Cannerts will have what he needs. Then Thomas can fully rest."

"Thomas is doing great. He's really helping." Cannerts added.

"Last vial, that's it." Jake said.

I nodded, "And it will be." I turned to Thomas. "Just hang in there a little while longer, ok."

He gave us a tired smile, "This is what superheroes do, right?"

Jake smiled, "That's right, buddy."

》》》》

The procedure went well and all we had to do is wait. The wait game. I feel like that's the only game we've been playing for almost three weeks.

"How is he?" Jake asked as soon as Cannerts and I left the room.

"He's resting. He's fine." Cannerts said.

"Risking a kid's life to save a thug."

I didn't even look at him when I said, "Well, that thug saved mine."

Jake looked like he wanted to say something, but he didn't when the monitors began beeping. Cinco kept moving around like he was having a seizure.

"Doc, what's going on?" Trey asked.

"He's crashing!" Cannerts yelled.

"Get in there and fix it!" We didn't need to be told twice. We rushed back in there. "Get the kid!"

"No!" Jake and I yelled. Then he added, "No more Thomas!"

"It's too late for that! We'll try more interferon." Cannerts yelled.