There's A Crack In Everything

Sloppy Joe.  Not my favorite, but hey it was better than 'mystery meat.'  It was my first day here, so I probably looked like a lost puppy.  I haven't talked to anyone either, best to be alone.

I grabbed the first empty table I could find and just started picking at my food.  It didn't look appetizing, but I was starving.  I picked up a grape and popped it into my mouth.

Someone tapped my shoulder and I looked up to see the girl from my Spanish class with a group of her friends behind her.  Rachel or something.

"You're Amelia, right?"  She asked.  I nodded.  "I heard you're new and I just wanted to welcome you."

"Ok, um, thanks."  I said.

"And since you're new, you probably didn't hear about our tradition for every new kid."

I raised my eyebrow at her, "What tradition?"

Rachel turned back to the girls, who all smirked at each other.  Rachel picked up my Sloppy Joe and gave me a sweet smile.  Without another word, she smashed the sandwich on my head.  Her clique - or whatever - began laughing at me.

I glared at her as I rose from my seat, "What the hell?!"

Rachel put both her hands on her heart, "Oh, you don't like our little tradition?"

"What the hell is this kind of tradition?!"  I snapped, not caring if everyone in the cafeteria saw us.

"It's just a little reminder, fresh meat, that you are at the bottom of the food chain.  That's where people like you - the unimportant - belong."

I had it with her.  What the hell did I ever do to her?

"Well, how about this for tradition?"  I said.  I grabbed my milk carton and poured it down her shirt.  I heard a bunch of oh's from the students.  When the carton emptied I gave her a sweet smile, "Don't worry, the tissues in your bra soaked up most of the milk.  Have a nice day."

With that I marched out of the cafeteria.  I made my way to the bathroom.  I took the bun out of my hair and began cleaning myself off.  With a wet towel, I began taking the stain out of my shirt.

The bathroom door opened and a girl looked at me wide-eyed, "Oh, my god.  What happened to you?"

"A little bitch named Rachel and her group of wannabes."  I growled.

The girl grabbed a paper towel and wet it before helping me get the Sloppy Joe out of my hair, "Let me help."

"I don't need your help!"  I snapped.

"Hey, just because you had a bad day, doesn't mean you can take it out on me.  I'm just trying to help."  The girl said.

I sighed, "I'm sorry.  It's my first day here and I hate it."

She gave me a sad smile as she wiped some sauce out of my hair, "Don't worry, things will get better.  I'm Katie."