Chapter Six

There was a necklace clenched tight in her pale, white hand; its cold metal no contrast to her cold, motionless skin. Her eyes were wide and her mouth frozen in a permanent scream.

Snow fell lightly all around her, cushioning the ground if she were to fall from where she was magically suspended in the air. The necklace slipped from her grasp and fell in its brown paper package to the ground, landing in the soft blanket of white.

There was a single large, black gem in the center of the chain that if you looked close enough, could spiral you into a world of darkness. The darkness was everywhere, in every shape and form. Wisps of black smoke grew larger and more menacing, streaking past and disturbing everything in its wake.

The wisps were long and wide and began to gather in one spot, circling around a single person. As I looked closer, I saw that person was me.

The smoke grew faster and one even dared to pass through me. I fell to my knees in pain, crying out in anguish as the smoke ripped its way through my heart, tearing through my flesh. The pain intensified as yet another one ripped its way through my stomach, bursting through. I fell to my hands and struggled to draw breath through my broken body, heaving and gasping for air. I coughed and a splatter of black liquid left my mouth, dripping from my dry lips onto the black marble floor.

"You are weak." a voice whispered, taunting me.

My eyes flew open and I immediately sat upright in my bed, hands going automatically to my chest. I struggled to untangle myself from my sheets and fell off of my bed in doing so. Stumbling out of my covers, I stood up and rushed over to the trunk that Dumbledore had provided for me after we had left the orphanage.

Lifting the top, I began pulling things out, scattering clothes and books all over the floor as I searched desperately for what I needed. There, at the bottom of the trunk, was my drawstring bag of charcoals.

I ripped it open and grabbed the closest charcoal I could find, jumping up from where I had been kneeling on the ground by my trunk.

I quickly made my way over to an empty wall and pressed the charcoal to it, only making a single jagged line before it snapped in half from the amount of force I had put on it. Falling to my hands and knees, I began frantically searching for the broken pieces and picked one up, standing to resume my drawing. 

Pressing the charcoal against the wall on its side, rather than its tip, I began to make large, violent streaks across the wall, circling around and streaming together. I tried to re-create the black smoke that had pierced through my beaten heart and succeeded in breaking the chalk a second time.

I let out a cry of frustration and banged my fists on the wall, impatient. I needed to get it out before it consumed me. Picking up the chalk again, I banged it against the wall over and over again until a hand reached out and grabbed my own, preventing further damage to the wall. 

Startled, my hand opened up as I released my death grip on the charcoal and it fell to the ground, shattering into dozens of tiny little pieces.

The hand on my wrist spun me around and I was gripped tightly by my shoulders.

"Calm down, Clarissa, calm down. Just close your eyes and focus on your breathing." said Dumbledore.

Despite my mind's protests, I could already begin to feel it leaving me. It had already left its mark on the walls and had seeped out through my fingertips into my drawing. I closed my eyes and just breathed.

When I opened them again, Dumbledore had released his grip on my shoulders and was now staring at the covered wall, concern and slight fear painted across his face.

"Why don't you go back to bed for now, Clarissa." he said, turning back to face me.

I nodded and turned around to pick up my duvet off of the floor. My room was a mess; clothes and textbooks scattered all over the floor, smudges of charcoal ground into the floor, papers everywhere. I would have to clean it later before I went to bed tomorrow.

Fixing my covers, I heard my door click closed and slowly crawled into the warmth of my bed.