Chapter One

• Dedicated to my yellow wallpaper friend, BLUE

"Clarissa, you have a visitor." said the head of the orphanage, Miss Darner, bitterly.

The door opened and a strange man with a long, white beard and hair stepped in. His eyes widened at the sight of my drawings. They were drawn in thick, black lines of charcoal and covered nearly every inch of my room. Some were furiously scribbled out and there scratch marks on the wall where I had clawed at the faded yellow wallpaper, peeling it away, unsatisfied with the accuracy of my drawing. I could tell that he was not easily scared, but the look in his eyes was one of a man who had just seen death.

He stepped over to where I was staring blankly at the ceiling and sat down on the edge of my creaky, metal bed. I pulled my knees up to my chest and wrapped my arms around them, turning on my side so that my back was facing the man.

"I'm sorry that I didn't come to visit you earlier, but up until now we were unaware of your existence ..." he said.

I stared out the grimy window out to the trees, refusing to acknowledge his existence.

"Look I know that under your circumstances, you have every right not to trust me, but life will be better for you at Hogwarts. You'll learn to control you powers and maybe even perhaps ... this." he said, gesturing towards the walls.

I shut my eyes tightly, whimpering. I knew I had to go with him so that I could learn to control my powers. I was a danger to myself and others; that's why they shut me up here in the first place. But he had left me here to rot for the last five years and what I had had only gotten worse ....

Nodding, I slowly unwound myself and stood up, looking down at my shoes and refusing to meet his eye.

"Here, grab on to my arm and we'll disapparate." the man said, and I slowly made my way towards him, grabbing his arm and holding on tightly.