Part 7

Upon entering the diner, all the monsters lowered their voices and chattered amongst each other as Frisk strolled in behind Sans. The bar inside was not nearly as packed as Frisk remembered Grillby's being, but there were a few monsters gathered around the tables. Upon hearing the jangling of the door, Grillby looked up from his cleaning. His whole body was a glowing purple flame and his smirk reminded Frisk of Papyrus. He was slowly cleaning a glass cup in his hands while scowling in their direction. Frisk cowered away from the glare and braced herself for confrontation but as she neared the bar, she realized Grillby wasn't looking at her but was staring very intently at Sans. Reaching the counter, Sans pulled up a stool and sat down without a care in the world, while Frisk warily sat down beside him.

"Well well well, if it isn't the scum of the underground. What's a motherfucker like you doing here?" Sans rested his elbow on the counter and settled his skull into his hand with a grin.

"I came here to eat obviously! I thought you were smart enough to at least understand that much." Grillby's frown deepened even more and he held his glare with Sans. The proceeding tense minutes were the longest in Frisk's life. Suddenly, their broke apart and started laughing. Taken-a-back, Frisk jumped at their sudden outburst.

"Man, it is good to see an old face again." Pulling away from the counter, Grillby set back to work cleaning, all the while, Frisk glanced between them trying to understand what had just happened.

"Yea... well..." Sans smile dropped but with a glance at Frisk, he smirked slightly. Grillby watched from the corner of his eye and followed Sans gaze with a curious glance to look at the human. Frisk twitched nervously when she noticed Grillby had looked at her, and she tensed expecting hostility, instead Grillby continued his work.

Without looking up from his cleaning, Grillby asked nonchalantly, "so who's this?"

"Just a random human I picked up..." Grillby paused.

"We both know that's bullshit... you know as well as I that you would have killed her when she first appeared... so what happened?"

Sans red eye faded and in replace, two white orbs flickered to life. Casting his eyes to the ground, his expression fell and he went quiet.

When Grillby didn't get a response, he continued talking, "I had heard news of a human entering the underground and the rumors were spreading like wildfire that the head of the royal guard's useless brother was guiding them around."

Sans continued to remain silent. Realizing he wasn't going to receive a response from Sans, Grillby turned the question on Frisk. "Since Sans won't answer, mind filling me in?"

Frisk looked down at her tightly clasped hands resting on the counter and spoke slowly.
All the monsters in the diner tried to look disinterested, but the silence that filtered through the building suggested otherwise.

"This is going to sound farfetched... you probably won't believe what I am about to tell you..."

"I've heard some weird shit in my life time, lay it on me!" Frisk looked up at Grillby nervously. Despite how soft his eyes were, his jagged mouth still made his features appear hostile and unfriendly.

"Okay... well... I am from another timeline... in my timeline, the monsters have all escaped the underground. I was adoped by Toriel and Asgore... while Sans and Papyrus were like my big brothers. We all lived together in a decently sized home on the surface..."

Grillby shifted his stance to lean up against the counter, with each arm placed on either side to hold his position. The other monsters in the diner let out a couple disbelieving grunts and gasps of surprise but they immediately fell silent again. Frisk glanced around nervously and caught a couple of the monster's eyes, but they quickly looked away. Turning back around in her seat, she shook off her nervousness and continued with more enthusiasm.