Part 3

“Alright, we’re here.” Flowey lead Frisk to another wall that appeared to be solid but with cautious steps and her hands held out, she passed through. She was back in the ruins but was standing in front of that old familiar tree that stood in front of Toriel’s home. 

Flowey popped out at Frisk’s side and stared up at the home with painful memories.
“It doesn’t look like Toriel is back yet. Let’s hurry on through.” Scanning the area, Frisk confirmed it to be empty and proceeded to briskly walk up to the front door. Trying the handle, the door swung open and warm air filtered out. Frisk ushered Flowey inside before quickly closing it behind them.

Not wanting to waste time looking around, Frisk dropped down the stairs by twos and broke into a run down the long hallway. 
 As she rounded the last corner she stopped short to find Toriel had indeed been home and was waiting by the exit.

Hearing their approach, Toriel turned around to face the pair. “I had a feeling if I waited down here, you would eventually come.” Frisk tensed, ready for a fight but Toriel’s express was not aggressive.
“There is something… strange about you. For some reason, I feel like I know you… however…” Toriel’s eyes darkened and with no warning, she shot out a ball of fire. Taken aback, Frisk jumped out of the way as the fire burned dangerously close.
“I must stop you here.” 

“Mother… please. I just need to exit the ruins and find Sans. With his help, I can make everything right again.”

“Stop calling me mother!” Toriel yelled infuriated. “You are not my child and you will not leave this place!” A barrage of spells followed the fire balls and Frisk dodged around them, barely managing to keep out of danger. She was grateful that Undyne had taught her how to fight over the years or else she would have been obliterated by now.

“Don’t you understand, by passing through this door, you will be hurt far worse than if you just let me put you out of your misery.” 

“Mo… Toriel… this isn’t right. All the monsters had already left the underground… something happened and…” A pair of flashing orbs nearly caught her off guard but she dropped to the ground and grunted as she impacted the cold floor. 

“You stupid human, monsters can’t leave the underground. Don’t you think we were all sealed down her because of a reason?”

“It’s you who doesn’t understand. This isn’t real… none of it! Just let me finish talking!” Toriel let up on her attacks and glared at her with impatience. “Something happened… we were all in bed for the night when this light appeared and we all got sucked inside. After that, this world had changed. I don’t know how or why but I am going to fix it… if you would just let me try…” 

“How can I believe that… when all my memories are of nothing but pain and misery…?”

“Believe in me, like I believe in you!” With slow steps, Frisk crossed the space separating them and wrapped two gentle arms around Toriel. Toriel jumped stunned at the sudden embrace. 

“Let go of me. I don’t need your pity.” Pushing Frisk away, Toriel stood and turned her back to her. “Go then… and never come back…”

“Then..”

“I don’t know if I can believe your words, nor do I care. Just get out of here and try your luck on the other side. Don’t say I didn’t warn you…”

Flowey reached out a leaf towards Toriel as she walked past but her glare she cast him made him falter. 

“Don’t worry Asriel. I made you a promise remember. We are all returning to the surface as a family.”