Part 5

She was adamantly surprised that she was able to walk so close to Sans, even their shoulders brushed occasionally and he didn't try to create some distance between them like before. Daring a risky move, after everything she had just witnessed, she side hugged Sans. Grunting, he shrugged her off.

"Listen human, I don't need your pity. I'm just tagging along for the time being, don't think we are buddies."

"Thank you." He side glanced at her smile but didn't show much notice beyond that.
"Honestly, I am still shaken up about Papyrus." Wrapping her arms around her shoulders, she shuddered at the memory. Once again, Sans didn't seem to show much interest in anything she had to say. Growing quiet again, she stuffed her hands into her pants pockets and looked down at the ground dejectedly.

"Why do you keep pretending..." Sans grumbled out after a few moments of silence.

"Um... what?" The question came out of nowhere and she couldn't piece together what he was talking about.

"Why do you pretend to care about us!" Growing irritated, his red eye started to burn brighter.

Frisk's brows furrowed together in confusion. "But I do care!"

"It's not US you care for, it's THEM!" Frisk opened her mouth to counter his comment but she closed it promptly afterwards. She couldn't think of anything to say. "We aren't even supposed to exist right? You want to change everyone back, Right?! You don't even care for us, RIGHT!?!" His voice picked up in volume as his agitation increased. As he finished speaking, his shoulders shook and he took ragged breaths.

"Sans... I love you, regardless of form, time, shape or w~orldddd...." Frisk teetered forward in surprise as Sans suddenly tripped forward and she stumbled over him. Face planting the ground, Frisk sat up rubbing her aching nose. "Ow..." Squinting past one cracked eye, she glanced over at Sans to find him sitting like a statue. Frisk gasped aloud to find that his eye was no longer glowing red but both of his eyes were back to their natural white. She had assumed since there first encounter that the Sans of this timeline just naturally had red eyes.

Unfreezing, his expression morphed into a mixture of sourness and a lopsided smile.
"Fucking hell brat, don't just spout out shit like that."

"But it's true..." Happy to have cracked through that hardened armor of his, she jumped up smiling from ear to ear.

Sans also stood back up but his red aura returned as well. Frowning, Frisk stared at it intently.

"What'cha lookin at freak..." She was beginning to understand this Sans better. He was putting on a front to appear intimidating and uncaring but underneath housed the soul of a very lonely monster who was extremely nervous and scared but also cared for his friends. Suddenly, she realized why he had reacted so weirdly with his brother.

"Are you afraid of your brother?" This question seemed to tip Sans patience and he flared up at her.

"God! Just shut up.... You know what, forget it, I'm outta here. Good luck getting through the underground by yourself." With a flash of light, Sans was gone. Gasping, she cautiously approached the indentation in the grass from where Sans had just been standing. Swiping her hand through the air, she realized for the first time Sans had been teleporting! She had suspected for a while, plus he had often lead her on 'shortcuts', but they were always disorienting and she couldn't really recall what had happened or how they had arrived at their destination. That wasn't the only thing she realized...

"Ahhh stupid!? Why'd you have to go and ask something like that." Frisk started knocking her head with her fist in frustration and regret. "Now he might never come back..." Sighing heavily, she decided it was best to just move on and not think about it.