5: I'd Let Him Butter My Muffin Any Day

Start from the beginning

Benjamin looked surprised. “How can you already tell?”

I shrugged. “Let me guess. You did it for him?”

“I did,” he admitted, scratching his head. “Don’t tell him I told you, though. He figured it’d fool you. He even added some of his own finishing touches so you wouldn’t notice. I tried to make it more professional, but well…”

“Of course he did.” I closed the folder and put it aside. I couldn’t believe I’d hired someone without even looking at their resume first. It was so unlike me. What if he had a criminal record? What if he was secretly plotting to kill me? And here I was, letting him into my house and into my life.

“He’s a good guy, you know,” Benjamin said. It was as if he could hear my thoughts. “He may not be what you’re used to when it comes to personal assistants, but he’ll do fine. As his roommate and best friend, I can vouch for him and say that you could always use a little Nathan in your life.”

I couldn’t help but smile. “He seems to think so, too,” I said, remembering the speech he’d given at the end of his interview. “Well, tell him not to be late tomorrow. And remind him that February 30th and noon o’one aren’t a thing.”

He chuckled and said, “I’ll make sure to tell him that. I’ll see you around, I guess.”

“Bye,” I said, giving him one last wave. With that, he was gone. Trish followed him as security escorted him out, loudly questioning him on his relationship status, among other things.

Smiling at Trish’s efforts, I sat down and picked up Nathan’s resume.

Nathan Byers

619 St. Joe Avenue

Los Angeles, CA, 90017

Apartment 41B

Mobile: (877) 612-7898

Home: (877) 235-4570

Email: yourmom@gmail.com

I actually had to stop reading to roll my eyes at this part. Seriously…

Summary

My two hours of experience as a personal assistant and two years of experience in fast-food joints/hotels have given me many skills.

Oh, boy.

These skills have grown and I have become a good multi-tasker who thrives in a busy, dynamic environment. I am valued for my optimistic attitude, loyalty and resourcefulness, as well as my communication skills. I am very good with people.

This was where the “charm” stepped in, apparently.

Education

Delta High School, Clarksburg, CA

Graduated: 2009

University of Southern California

Employment History

September 2011: Cashier at McDonald’s

March 2012: Sandwich Artist at Subway