Gaby Cabezut on Creating Unique Characters

WEDNESDAY( 27 JULY, 2016)

TALK 2: Gaby Cabezut(gabycabezut) on Creating Unique Characters

Hello, everyone!

I'm honored to be your guest speaker today at the Summer Conference 2016. For those of you who don't know me, I'm Gaby Cabezut. I've been on Wattpad since 2010 and when I posted my first story, I had no idea that my life would change so much.

Six years later, I'm an ambassador, part of the Wattpad Stars program and I have two published books and a third one coming out in January. That being said, I believe, with all my heart, that Wattpad is one (if not THE BEST) writing community out there. There are thousands of successful soon-to-be, or published authors that have started within this platform.

However, when you start to write or post a new story, you can feel a bit overwhelmed. Some people don't know where or how to start at all. Even if you've been writing for a while, this talk might come in handy, there's always room to learn something new, right?

As writers, we all know that a story starts with a conflict, mostly when our character takes a bad decision, leaving her or him in an emotional or physical rollercoaster. We've planned the plot in our heads, taken notes and maybe created an outline.

Most of us, have one or more endings in sight and that helps us plan the rest of the story. Some of us are total pansters; others, have planned up to the minor detail and the rest, are a combination of the two.

Is there a magic formula to writing a best-seller? I don't think so. If there is, I still haven't found it (and I'll promise a lifetime of fudgy brownies to whoever solves the formula and shares it with me!).

So, we have our plot, but what about our characters? How can we write compelling, addicting characters that people want to know more about?

If you're thinking that the only thing you need to worry about is plot...