[54]: the power of three

Start from the beginning

Neil Van Allen had exited through the window, his body colliding with the ground in a heap of broken bones and bruises. There was a moment as Neil shuddered in the wet dirty snow, his body turning purple.

"No. No. No. No. No." The boy whispered he brought his hands before him, waving them about in a panic.

He sounded like a child.

He kept muttering those words, running from the scene. Running from the guilt that plagued his every footstep.

Neil could see the wet of the snow and the way it lay on each blade of grass. How he could feel the sinking mud beneath him.

He thought of his children.

+

Harvey's eyes fluttering open, wincing as dust fell into his view. It made him cough, his throat dry.

He stood up, walking over the two sleeping bodies beside him. He looked down to them both, yawning into his hand and starting to walk towards the gate that held them safe. It stretched across the counter, protecting the from intruders.

He felt like a prisoner.

Any stranger would salivate at the medicinal stash they held behind that gate. The coup they had built for themselves, even if it was only three of them, was strong.

Harvey approached a small bucket in the corner, unzipping his pants and starting to do his business. He whistled quietly, thinking of anything but having to do his business in front of his two friends.

He patted down his pockets, looking for a cigarette when an empty box hot the back of his head.

"Jeez," he jumped, looking over his shoulder. "What, fuck's sake?" Harvey scrunched up his nose in annoyance.

"Don't just piss in the corner, Harvey!" The woman yelled.

Laura sighed tiredly, trying to find something else to throw at Harvey. She patted around her sleeping bag. When she did, she was reminded of the constant crick in her back as she sat up further. Having to sleep on the floor wherever they went

"Fine, I won't do it again," he yelled. In return, she gave him an angered look, a warning glance. "But I can't just stop right now."

"Fine," she muttered, climbing from her bruised knees to stand up. She lightly kicked the other sleeping form.

"Willy Wonka, time to wake up," Laura yawned. She kicked him harder for good measure, earning herself the floor when will yank her leg sideways.

"Fuck you!" She screeched.

Harvey quickly zipped up his pants, rushing over to the two "adults" and tearing them apart.

Will, the one who laura had kicked, smacked away Harvey's hand. "Get the fuck away, faggot!"

"Alright," Harvey sighed, stopping his efforts at keeping them from beating each other to death. "Laura, you can kick his ass."

Laura pummeled his ribs, shouting to the heavens about how she's tried to teach him not to use those disgusting words.

Will had the propensity to use words that never needed to be. Ones that cut deep, attacking things no one could change about themselves.

"Alright, alright, jeez."

Laura rolled off him, retrieving a pair of dark torn jeans from her bag and kindly giving the taller man her middle finger. She shuffled them onto her legs awkwardly, stretching her limbs as she did so.