[16]: peggy

"How's your pasta?" I asked, looking up from my own plate to look at James. He sat across from me, looking at his fork in distaste.

"You made it better last time," he said annoyed.

"Do you want me to make you somethin-"

"No," he interrupted, shoving the fork back into his mouth. I ate more of my food, but when I looked up he had stopped eating and simply stared at me.

He took his glass of water, held it over the floor for a second before dropping it to the ground, shattering it into pieces. I winced at the harsh noise.

"I heard you didn't go to work the other day," he accused, venom dripping off every word like a snake.

"I had to go to the doctors... I phoned Tony," I squeaked.

"You don't understand that Tony needs you in order for him to be on my side."

"I was scared I got that virus going around."

"Why didn't you come to me if you was so scared?"

I swallowed the lump in my throat. I was getting more scared by the minute.

"You're not a doctor," I finally confessed.

"You still didn't come to me," He raised his voice, gripping the table cloth in his fists.

"You're not a doctor though," I unintentionally raised my own voice.

He yanked the table cloth, and I ducked to the wall behind me. Plates shattered to the floor as he screamed, "Don't raise your voice at me Ariel!"

He picked up another glass and threw it at the wall beside me. One of the broken pieces nicked my cheek, and I turned my head away.Tears rolled down my cheeks as I clutched them in pain. He could have blinded me.

I heard my living room door shut loudly, and I finally let out loud sobs. Filling the room with the sound of my cries.

+

"How'd you get that scar on your cheek?" Carl asked as we hung up clothes.

"Fell off my horse when I was a kid," I lied quickly, "You're very observant, not many people notice it."

"You had a horse?" Carl smiled as we hung up the last pair of socks. I ducked under the washing line and put and arm around his shoulders. I lead him to my tent.

"Wait out here," I whispered to him.I ducked into my tent for a second, and grabbed the small black notebook that was beside my purple backpack. I came out and said a small, "come on," to Carl and lead him back to the centre of the camp.

We both sat on the logs near the fire. I opened up my notebook and flipped through the pages until I found what I needed. It was a picture of my horse when I was younger - it showed my sandy coloured horse with a much younger me atop its saddle. The younger me had short hair to the chin and a cheesy grin on my face.

"What was its name?" Carl asked, taking the picture from my hands to closer inspect it.

"Peggy."

"Peggy?"

"After Peggy Carter," I said, and he looked at me like he didn't know what I was talking about. I laughed at his confused face.

"Any more pictures?" He asked, handing the picture back to me. I nodded and handed the black book to him.

I watched as he flipped through the pages, holding drawings and pictures stuck in with glue.

"Who's this?" he asked, pointing to a picture of me and Jimmy sitting on a beach. Of all the pictures, he had to choose that one. The people in the picture were smiling at the camera, arms around each others waist.