Bad (U2) Chapter 5

"Where are we?" Jacob asked.

"I don't know but look," I pointed to the fire and kids.

Jacob attempted to sit up but was held back with chains. He strained to see what I did and when he saw his eyes widened in fear. "We gotta get outta here!"

"No duh. But do you have any plan?"

 "Maybe-" his suggestion was cut short as we ducked as best as we could upon hearing gunshots. We could somewhat see out of the window as we looked up. Soliders fired guns. Soliders ordered. People feel, dead. Men screamed and cursed. Women and children cried.  

Some were alreadt crying and had been crying for so long their eyes were red and their breath coming out in gasps.

Colors crash, collide in bloodshot eyes

"In there!" a guard boomed.

The door opened and a guard walked in. His eyes were watching me and with a grunt he turned back to the door.

"Are you sure that's him?" He asked another guard.

"Yessir, Jack, that's what Evan said," another guard from the hallway replied.

The Jackson guard came back in with three other guard who helped get us out of the chains and then put different ones on. That didn't happen without complaints from Jacob which earned him a punch in the stomach. 

Jacob and I were pulled to where the gunshots were and were guarded as a new group of people came in. This group was filled with old men and women, young men and women and children and teens. They were all starved and cut or bruised. Their faces all had a scared and sad look on them but they all blended together, except for one. Meghan.

She was carrying a child who looked about four or five years old. The girl was crying and screeching and I could tell the guards were getting really pissed off. 

"Shut that stupid kid up!" a guard yelled at Meghan. 

"Don't you think I have already tried that?" she screamed back.

The guard went over to Meghan and she put the girl down. He slapped her face but she didn't do a thing but respond to the girl's cry for her with , "Shhh, Lucy, it's okay," she bent down and looked Lucy in the eyes, "Stop crying. Everything's gonna be okay."

"But.. but, they hurt mommy and daddy and they fell and didn't get up."

"Darling, I know but they won't hurt you I promise."

"Are mommy and daddy dead?"

"Yes sweetie, but you will be okay," she comforted Lucy. 

"You will protect me?" Lucy asked through streams of tears.

"Yes. Now," Meghan picked her up, "shhh."

They got back in line and walked until Meghan was right next to with Lucy holding her hand and standing to the right. The guards picked up their guns and bullets started flying everywhere. When the bullets thinned out I looked around and saw what Jacob and i saw in our room earlier. Meghan was holding Lucy in her arms and started singing to her while Lucy's stomach gushed blood and her blonde hair started letting sweat drip down it. She couldn't cry and could barely talk, but she said something to Meghan which made her breakdown.

"Meghan, I thought you would protect me," she whispered as her short life horribly ended. 

Through tears Meghan replied as she hugged the corpse of the orphaned and now dead girl.

"If I could, you know I would

If I could I would

Let it go...." she said before starting to sing.

As the guards dragged the remnats of the line back Meghan stayed and the guards let her. 'They must have been afraid of her' I thought. 

"Meghan," Jacob asked, "are you okay?"

"Let's go," she said as she kissed Lucy's forehead and stood up.

She followed the remaining guard, Jack, and we were lead to another room filled with shovels and wheel barrels. The shovels and wheel barrels were all dirty and streaked with blood. 

"Go and burry all the bodies," he ordered. 

We obeyed but as we got half way through Meghan called us to where she was.

"A solider left a gun," she said.

"Okay," replied Jacob.

"Wait... Meghan.." I began.

"Yes. We're gonna get outta here," she said.

"Do you know how crazy that idea is?" Jacob almost yelled. 

"Shut up! They'll hear us," she yelled.

"Okay, who is they?" I ask.

"The Nazis," she informed as she dumped another body into a reccently dug whole and filled it.

"What the hell are you talking about?' Jacob asked.

"Sweeitie, this is hell," she said in a monotone voice. 

"We're gunna fucking die!" he yelled.

"Unless we get out," I responded. 

"Right let's do it then," Meghan began running for the fence with jacob and I close behind. 

Jacob was asking why and saying he was only following because we thought we could get out. I honestly didn't think we could but i would rather be shot from a distance than starved or experimented on.

As we got to the wall, soliders ran up and Meghan fired, an unloaded gun. They surrounded us and dragged us to a small cell.

They beat us and taunted and teased us. They poured gasoline on our cuts and then threw water, which we desperatly wanted, at our feet.

This desperation

After being thrown into our cell we all shared, Jacob was out. I didn't know if he fell asleep or lost consciousness. Meghan and I couldn't, and didn't even try to, sleep but I felt dizzy.

"Meghan, what did you sing to Lucy?'

"Mothers of the Disappeared."

"Why?" I asked.

"Because she's the only person her I love and she's disappeared."

'So Meghan did have a softer side.' I thought as I slowly fell asleep to the sweet sound of Meghan's soothing voice.

"In the wind we hear their laughter . In the rain we see their tears . Hear their heartbeat . We hear their heartbeat "

_* _*_ *_ *_ *_ *_ *_ *_ *_ *_ *_ *_ *_ *_ *_ *_ *_ *_ *_ *_ *_ *_ *_ *_ *_ *_ *_ *_ *_ *_ *_ 

I ust want to say that I'm not a heartless person who hates kids. This actually happened in Concentration Camps.