Chapter 6: Humorless

Start bij het begin

I rolled my eyes. “That was a cheap response.”

David slammed his laptop closed in one motion and scratched his jaw as he glared up at me. It was really the first time I wasn’t looking up at him so I gave myself a mental gold star. “Do you have a problem with me now that you know what I am, Miss Williams?” he questioned bitterly. "Because now you're questioning every breath I take." 

“You hit the nail, Star. I do have a problem with you,” I said.

"Please,” he motioned for me to continue and leaned back in his chair with his own thick arms over his chest, “elaborate.”

“You can’t just spill all of this crap about being my Guardian Angel and then just brush it off,” I began. “I want to know more about you. I work for you and I don’t even know where you live—“

“North, off of Saint Brainard Avenue. It’s a pretty big house, can’t miss it.”

“Well I don’t know what kind of pets you have—“

“I have three pit pulls. Phoenix, Spike, and Optimus Prime,” he interrupted.

I frowned at the last name. “Well I don’t know your birthday—“

“You should know that. It’s in all the magazines. November fourth.”

“What about your favorite movie—“

“Don’t have one.”

I stopped it there and tried to calm down my nerves. My stomach was beginning to give out sharp pains ever other second that was beginning to throw me off.  “Whatever. The point is you don’t tell me anything about your personal life.”

“I shouldn’t have to.”

“Why not?

He raised an eyebrow at me. “Because, you’re my assistant and not my friend.”

I thought about that for a moment. “I thought you wanted to be friends and—ugh! What the—“

I winced at the stinging pain in my middle and then before I knew it, I started to scream.

David shot out of his chair like a bullet, wrapped an arm around my waist and put a hand over my mouth. “Stop screaming like that or else the pain will get worse.”

What pain!? Why am I getting this pain!?

 “Met moff mo me!”  I muttered under his hand but meant to say: Get off of me!

He must have understood me because his hand gripped tighter against my waist and I felt his smooth cheek slip next to mine. “Shhh, relax.”

I watched his fingers slide down my forearm until they nestled between the middle of my wrist and the back of my wrist, the spot that the guy in the staircase had touched. David seemed to probe the area with concern before I made a move to elbow him in the gut.

“You have a girlfriend,” I blurted and gripped his hand to push it off. His skin felt rock hard and as I tried to shove him off he was more like a statue than a person. The heat of his body was addicting and made my eyes abruptly begin to sting. “Please let go of me,” I stuttered out.

He let go and stepped back. “I was just trying to help you,” he defended and pushed a few strands of blonde hair out of his eyes. “Nothing more.”

My step back was deliberate and my eyes were on the man before me at all times. Nothing more? I was nothing to him? I took a wild guess that Tiara would be something to him. I looked up at David to see he obviously realized what those two words had done to me. He looked like he regretted it to.